Oil Filter Advice Needed...

Hello, I have a 2002 Legacy wagon with the

2.5 liter 4 cylinder. Have been using the Subaru oil filter no. 15208aa060 which is made here. The dealer moved and so got one from a subie place online. They sent a Subaru no.1508aa100, made in japan,and it is way smaller than the 'aa060. Called the place and they said this is the new subaru filter style,the smaller size is better. Is this on the level,or what? Also,does Fram or someone make a suitable filter? Thanks very much,in advance.
Reply to
rtc

I think there are likely several aftermarket filters that would be OK. Personally, I'd stay with OEM or Purolator PureOne.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Could be... is there a clearance problem that might be helped with the smaller unit? I know Honda changed the size of the filters for recent Civics downwards a coupla years ago, but the one I "babysit" showed no difference in oil color at similar mileage between the old and new styles. Considering how clean most new engines are, I wouldn't worry.

Not sure if Fram has a catalog number for your car, but if they do, the Tough Guard (TG) series seems to be a reasonably good filter, better than the standard orange ones. They also have an extended life unit, but I've no experience with it. Most people I know say to stay away from the one that releases Teflon, and there's a new one that supposedly releases some "high mileage" additive--I'd be skeptical of that one, too!

My best results have been w/ OEM, with Purolator and Bosch generally right up there (remembering Purolator makes many, if not all, of the US filters.)

Rick

Reply to
Richard E Courtright

I found the following site informative about oil filters. I don't know how accurate the guys findings were, but it changed my opinions about some of the filters that I thought were the best.

http://pe>

Pinehollow

Check out the Amsoil EaO 20 filter for Subaru. This a new filter using full synthetic nanofiber technology. It has 98.70 % efficiency at 15 microns per ISO 4548-12. When used with Amsoil synthetic oil it is guaranteed for 25,000 miles or 15,000 severe duty.

Reply to
Jerre Bassler