2006 Forester rough idle

My 2006 Forester X 5 sp. has 1300 miles on it now, so it's broken in. Is it normal to have a rough idle, especially with the a/c on? I have to bring it in to the dealer this weekend anyway, but I just wondered if this is something to ask about. By rough, I mean rough enough that you can feel the car shaking. My husband's Legacy doesn't do this.

-yngver

Reply to
yngver

My 2000 Forester idles very smooth without the air on and I can tell when the AC compressor kicks on but, it is still smooth.

Reply to
Edward Hayes

The Subaru boxer engines are very well balanced, you shouldn't be able to feel any vibration at all. Sometimes I have to look at the tacho on my Forester to make sure it's still idling.

I would definitely complain about it.

Dave

Reply to
Coggo

AFAIK, the idle is supposed to compensate for hot, cold, or having the AC on. So, you shouldn't notice much difference, other than power, when you turn on the AC. Definitely ask about it.

Reply to
Sheldon

I just had the same problem my self... the car when idling would do the smallest of all shudders once every 4 or 5 secs when idling at the lights...

I told the guys at the 1st service (5000kms), they did some tightening of some tubes (hey... I wasn't there so I can't provide detail), and did the electronic diagnostics and road test, and there was no more shudder...

Definately inform them, but they may fix it anyway as part of the service.

...Ric

Reply to
ric_man

Thanks to all that replied. If something is out of whack this would also explain why I have been getting only about 20 mpg with mixed city and highway driving. I thought I just needed to wait until the engine was broken in.

-yngver

Reply to
yngver