4 Cyl Oil Change intervals

The folks who make money at it want 3k changes, those that don't, don't. That tells *me* something. :-)

-John O

Reply to
John O

I change at 5,000 mile intervals for my suburban driving as a compromise. Subaru recommends 3,750 for some extreme usage like trailer pulling and

Reply to
Edward Hayes

I don't exactly split the difference, but after my first change at

3K, I'm going with another change at 6K, then every 4K (or 4 months) after that. It's a nice round number to remember. My daily driving is 5 miles each way to/from work with lots of lights and signs. Most of the car's miles will be from longer drives though.
Reply to
y_p_w

In my opinion, it really depend on your driving condition:

Traffic driving, short trips, idling, trailler pulling, driving hard will require shorter intervals between oil change

A few years back, they did recommend monthly oil change for the winter month in Montreal

In my case, I procees as follow: City driving, commuting, traffic, 3k oil and filter change Highway driving, 3k filter change, 12k oil change I always change my oil before and after winter

I inspect the oil on a regular basis, once it darkens or once the level starts to drop, It is time to change it

I use Castrol syntec oil and regular oil filters

I have been doing this for the last 2 years and the car is perfect.

One last thing, I will probably try to put dyno oil sometime this years because dino oil and synthetic oil will not dissolve the same residu so putting dyno oil should clean my engine

Reply to
Charlez

My '04 Impreza TS just got its first change tonight. I already had 4219 miles on it, so I was running a bit late.

When I hopped into my car to leave, I noticed that the sticker listed the next change being due at 7219 miles. Interesting to note that the maintenance schedule furnished by the dealer at the time of sale lists servicing every 3,750 miles.

compromise.

Reply to
Kevin T

Hmmmm... some psychology involved here?

4219 (oops) minus 3750 = 469 (finagle factor)

7219 minus 4219 = 3000 (aw, come on, maybe that's a little soon)

3000 plus 469 = 3469 (oh, hey, it's about time)

So maybe they figure that'll get you there at just about the right mileage? Of all the people who CLAIM they change every 3000 miles, how many do you suppose REALLY are that punctual (other than one slightly obsessive lady I know who almost literally plans her trips so she can be at her dealer when the clock ticks over another 3000?) Besides, it's a whole lot easier to remember 3000 than 3750 if you're looking at the odometer and pondering the next change (though I'd have probably just put 7200--or even 7000--on the sticker back in the days I was filling them out for customers!)

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright