85 GL Wagon 4WD switch

The 4WD drive switch on my 5spd manual quit actuating the 4WD. I put a voltmeter on the switch and it seems to be working. What I could really use is some help locating more of the parts of the system. Where is the actuator on the transfer case, and where does the the vacuum get turned on and off? If anybody could give a good description it would be a big help.

I looked through my Haynes and Chilton manual and couldn't find much on this. The Autozone repair guide had the best info, but I still need more.

thanks

- James B

Reply to
james b

Hi,

I don't know if this will help, cuz mine's a '90, but I'm gonna take a stab at it that the cars are at least similar.

On mine, the 4wd is activated via a cable that goes toward the rear (right side, IIRC) of the xfer case part of the gearbox, and is connected to a vacuum accumulator (like that on your power brakes, but smaller) that's bolted on toward the front of the gearbox on the left. In one of my books (same 2 as yours, H & C) there's a procedure for adjusting the cable, though I haven't found that to be necessary yet.

The vacuum for the accumulator comes from a hose that goes kinda up and over the gearbox/bellhousing area toward a rather small vacuum accumulator mounted at the firewall on the right (passenger side-US model.) That's supplied by a vacuum line that comes from the intake area. I don't remember exactly where it's hooked up, but on my car it's just "right out there" where it's easy to see.

But that's problematic, cuz it's also easy to bump and knock off a connector, especially the one in the middle of the line. My 4wd has quit several times, and each time it was the result of doing something under the hood where I'd bumped that line and disconnected it unknowingly. I know immediately when I've done that cuz I hit the switch and don't hear the slight "phhhfffft" sound of the vacuum actuator and the faint "clunk" as the xfer case engages. I make it a habit now to engage the

4wd to test it after each session under the hood.

There are also a couple of electrical connectors that lie right atop the gearbox--take out the spare and they're just about directly under it. I don't recall exactly what they do, but they're subject to getting dust and possibly moisture inside, so it might be wise to unplug them, clean them with contact cleaner, perhaps put a little dielectric grease inside to help protect against corrosion (suggested in a Subaru TSB about 10 years or so ago) and reconnect them making sure they snap together tightly.

Anyway, you might find stuff easier by going backwards: start under the car at the back end of the gearbox, find the cable and vacuum lines and trace things forward. While you're doing that, you might plan on getting some new vacuum hose (ISTR a couple of sizes on mine--it's easiest to just take samples to the parts store) and replacing things as you go along--your car's old enough you may have developed a split or leaking line just from age.

HTH, and best of luck!

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright

Hey, thanks for the info. I will crawl under there again this weekend and see what I can do. I just replaced the struts and half-shafts and suspect something may have been knocked loose when I was working on it. It is calling for snow Monday, so hopefully I can get it going and go for a spin.

- James B

Reply to
james b