86 Subaru XT Coupe

I have a 86 Subaru XT coupe, and i had a couple of quesitons. First, i live in Junea AK and it is butt-ass freezing cold now, and i have had a little trouble starting. I replaced the battery (its been there since before i bought the car), but i dont think it solved the problem. Its been about a week that ive had the new battery, and i had trouble starting again. then it idle'd really badly, and the car was shaking - idle'd at less than 500rpm. i tried reving it back up but it dropped back down and shaked again. The alternator belt is intact, but it looks like there should be another belt on there (theres a 'double' belt pully on two). also, things like turn signal and stuff cause the heater fan and lights etc to dim, and the volt meter in the dash drops as the turn signal 'clicks' - maybe an alternator problem??

Second, when i accelerate, there is a rattle, like rocks in a soda can. im pretty sure it comes from the front, and especially notice it when i accerlate from the stop sign at the end of my driveway.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated.

Reply to
JohnnieBlue

Sounds to me like the ignition is way advanced, the "rocks in the tin can" is it detonating, and the spark timing is causing that, as it would cause it to idle roughly, or hardly at all. Pull the distrubitor cap off, have someone crank the engine, check the rotor's direction of rotation and then put the cap back on. Loosen the distrubitor adjustment bolt and turn it a little the SAME direction the rotor turns. If you loosen it a little, you can start the engine and turn it while it's running, this should bring the idle back up. Also, put higher grade gas in it, you may ave old or low octane gas.

Reply to
David Algie