91 Subie auto trany problem

New here.....here is my problem......

My '91 Subie Legacy w/ auto trany and 4 wheel drive has trany trouble. On a recent trip, it stopped shifting into auto third gear, then the hot ATF warning light came on. I limped to a gas station, checked the ATF level, couldn't find any on the dip stick. ( I found that hard to believe, as I had just changed the ATF myself about 2 months ago) So, I added a quart of ATF and limped home in second gear. Next day, checked ATF level to find the level a quart high. So drained ATF, which had turned black in color, and smelled burnt and looked bad. I attempted to change the filter after removing the pan cover, but couldn't do that as a bracket is tack welded in the way. Later learned that the in trany filter is not replaceable. After refilling ATF to proper level, trany still will not go into third gear. All other gears work fine with no slippage.

Doing Subie trany research on line, I see that I have the 4EAT (EC8) trany. The Subie dealer will pull the trany codes to see what is in trany memory for $90. Is there diagnostic equipment availabe so that I can do this myself. Will OBD2 pull the codes? Also, where can I find the code chart for the 4EAT?

Also, since the trany fluid over heated, is that evidence that the clutch/band for third gear is slipping to cause the ATF to over heat? If that is the case, I have to think that rebuilding the trany is financially unwise on a car that is 15 years old.

I have also been advised that a shift solenoid might be the cause of my problem. I was told that the solenoid might be part of the valve body and not available separately. Does the trany have to be dropped out of the car to replace the solenoid/valve body?

Sorry to ramble so much, but just hate to give up on my old Subie. Any advise greatly appreciated.

Reply to
fish6525

Pulling the trouble codes does not require any special equipment. Just an involved procedure requiring turning the key so many times and moving the shifter. When done correctly the Power Light or ATF light in the dash, can't recall which one, will flash codes. None of the solenoids are part of the valve body and all are available. The transmission does not need to be removed to work on the valve body/solenoids. You really donot want to drop the valve body if you have never done it before. Very easy to loose ball bearings and to destory very expensive gaskets. Go to

and do a search for "4EAT Service Guide Online". This will take you to a link that explains the 4EAT. Also while at XT6.net ask about the code pulling procedure. Someone there did a complete writeup explaining how to do it. I searched for it for a while but couldn/t find it. Ask GrossGary and he may know where to find it. Also goffle "Subaru

4EAT Diagnosis and Service". This Endwrench article lists the codes.
Reply to
johninKY

Goggle "subaru tcu secret handshake" and the code-pulling procedure will be found.

Reply to
johninKY

Thanks guys for all the help, and direction on where to learn codes etc. John, I would guess you are the same guy who gave me advise from my posting on another Subie forum. You do get around. Thanks for the help.

john> Goggle "subaru tcu secret handshake" and the code-pulling procedure will be > found.

Reply to
fish6525