95 Legacy handling woes - Road wandering

I got a '95 Legacy L AWD with 177K and it doesn't handle so great. I had a '95 Legacy L auto when it had only 30k and the car went exactly where you pointed it.

This car does not do that. I drive a newly paved interstate each day, and if you point the car straight, it will drive straight... for a moment. Then, keeping the wheel still straight, it veers to the left. Or it'll veer to the right. Within less than one second i'd be off the shoulder if i don't correct.

I also get massive understeer/oversteer problems in corners.

Now, for what I've checked.

- Front shocks have zero bounce.

- Right rear has slight bouce, left has none.

- Tire pressure 32 front / 30 rear (Bridgestone potenza 1 yr old, no wear).

- Ball joints have no movement when tires are shook, or when pried w/prybar

- No slop felt from tie rod end at steering knuckle.

- * Some kind of slop or knock felt inside the bellows/boots

- * Knocking sound from unknown source when steering wheel is move back and forth.

Seems like the rack, doesn't it? My questions to all you experts...

-What is between the tie rod end and the geared rack cylinder, that resides inside the bellows? The problem is either there, or the rack gears / pinion gears are worn down.

-Are all racks the same from 90-99?

-I bet remanufact. racks are worn just like mine (they prolly replace just seals). Where can i get new racks cheap? Or low,low,low mileage used racks..?

-Everything is rusty under the hood, especially the hydraulic lines going into the rack. Am I doomed?

Reply to
rootcon

Check the rack's mounting bolts for tightness and the bushings for slop. I'm betting the problem is the rack moving.

Reply to
johninKY

I just got a LGT and am learning a lot on the legacygt.com forum... take a peak at this.

Mike Lloyd