'95 Legacy LSi Sedan...

Greetings all,

Doing the brakes on my Legacy last night and I stripped the Wheel stud. I was able to get the stud knocked out of the hub and picked up new parts at the dealer tonight. I tried to get the stud out last night and with the one side jacked up I could not get the stud out from behind the hub. I have ABS brakes and the Tone Ring is kind of in the way. I wonder if there is a sweet spot that I have to line up to get the stud out or do I have to remove the axle nut and hub?

I guess that I can jack up the front, both sides, and try to spin the wheels. Since this is AWD I might have to disable the AWD and go Front wheel drive using/removing the fuse. That way I can spin the wheels and look for the sweet spot. Has anyone else had this problem or have some insight?

Thanks, Bill

Reply to
Bill Pelka

If there is clearance equal to the the thickness of the hub, maybe you could hacksaw the stud flush with the hub and then drive it through?

I dunno

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Greetings,

I got the parts and called the service dept at the local dealer. He said to set the parking brake, jack up the front wheel, put the auto transmission into neutral. Remove the wheel and the brake caliper. Then pull the rotor off. Remove the 5 small allen headed bolts that hold the tone ring (for ABS speed sensor) Then just grab the hub and rotate till you get the previously loosened stud to fall out. Pop the new stud back in and start the reassembly. Once you get the rotor back on, put the lugnut on the new stud and tighten some, just enough to get it to stay in the hub. This will pull the stud into the hub. Continue the reassy and install the wheel. Tighten 4 lugnuts as normal to about 70 foot-pounds. The new stud will require more turning and will need to be pulled in tight. Drive the car for about 5 miles or so and then check torque. All is good...

Bill

Reply to
Bill Pelka