97 Outback Impreza, 44K miles

I recently got the above car. It was a spare car which had been kept in a garage and was only very lightly driven. I took it in right away for brakes which were $500. Today, I pick it up from the dealer after it gets a new timing belt, water pump, main gaskets, belts, heat shield adjustment, power steering rack [$$$$] and radio check because no stations are coming in unless I drive very close to NYC.

Next it'll probably need new tires in the spring and then maybe a new radio if the dealer can't figure out why nothing comes in.

Once done, for a few thousand dollars, Suzie Q should be ready to roll full time again. :-)

Oh yeah, and I got AAA just in case.

RCM

Reply to
RPM1

That's pretty early for a timing belt. Does the car have window tinting? Some newer soobs have in-glass antennas and metallic tint will reduce reception - mostly on AM band. Also, sometimes folks get aftermarket radios and the rear antenna amp is not hooked up.

check out

,

enjoy your new car!

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Gotta keep them Heat Shields properly adjusted! all hell breaks loose when you dont.

44,000 miles on a rack....time to get that swapped out, usually "Hammered" after 40K. Radios are good for only a few hundred hours of listening, less if it's rock music....

This post is a joke right..god I hope so...or your "dealer" sees a sheep for sure....

Reply to
Eric Cartman

"Eric Cartman"

No, no joke. The car was free for us so I don't mind spending a couple grand. The heat shield makes a noise when I start the car and I don't like it. They're going to stop the noise.

The car has sat for years. Seals and gaskets crack with age and without use.

The timing belt is 60 mos or 60K miles. It's been over 60 months. My car prior to this broke a timing belt, in a parkway toll booth, two weeks ago. It was 10K over the suggested limit. I had to scrap the car. I want to try to avoid that happening again if at all possible. Is that okay with you? ;->

RCM

Reply to
RPM1

I agree on the belts and gaskets....doubt the steering rack needed anything and the radio is probably fine. Check the antenna, any inline amplifier. Dealers LOVE to screw customers anytime they can.

Reply to
Eric Cartman

"Eric Cartman"

The dealer said the antenna just wasn't pulled out. Duh on me. They must have pushed it in at the car wash. I'm still getting used to the car. I'd only driven it a day prior to it going in to the dealer.

RCM

Reply to
RPM1