99 Outback timing belt info

Just wondering where to get info on doing my own timing belt replacement? I need to know timing procedure and torque specs.

Reply to
Rooky Heard

The timing will be correct if you start at #1 TDC and align the marks on the belt with the marks on the pulleys. Which torque specs do you need and which engine? TG

Reply to
TG

Thanks for the reply, I've got a 99 Outback Wagon, 2.5L, 5 speed, A/C, power steering, 90000km./55000miles. I was mainly wondering if the timing belt change is fairly straight forward. I'm a heavy equipment mechanic so I should be able to handle it, I just wanted to make sure there wasn't any special procedures, specs, torques that I need to know about. Also are the timing marks easy to see?

Reply to
Rooky Heard

If you've mucked around with diesel fuel injection you shouldn't have any problems. The only major issue is the crank pulley bolt. You'll probably have to fabricate some kind of tool to get it off, as I did.

The belt isn't due for replacement until 100k miles. Mine looked perfect at 85k. You really ought to at least do the oil pump seal and o-ring if you're going to get in there.

Reply to
Jim Stewart