Subaru Protection Plan Extended Warranty (Canada) - has anyone gotten it?

Hey all, I just got a letter in the mail about subaru protection plan, which appears to be their extended warranty. My warranty is up in 4 months, and I've been thinking about getting an extended warranty - our 2002 TS Wagon will be 3 years old in December, but only has ~ 35,000km on it (we don't drive far to work), and I prefer to have warranty for the mileage not age.

So, wondering if anyone else in Canada has signed up for the Subaru extended warranty, and if so, has your experience been a good one? Or if you had a bad experience, what was it? Also curious as to what the cost was - the brochure is full of nice pictures, but not prices - how much did you pay, and how much extra time did it cover?

Also curious about after-market extended warranties - better value than the Subaru one, or not worth it?

Thanks all!

Reply to
Aaron Flint

I usually say to myself... If they are willing to take the risk (extra protection offered at XX dollars) than so am I. I don't go for the extended warrenty. Those programs are money makers for the offerors - however if you think you've bought a lemon then go for it.

YMMV

DJay

Reply to
DJay

snip

I had looked at the subaru extended warranty and decided to pass on it, since it semed to have a lot of weasel clauses, or was very dependent on the service managers opinion in your favour. Can't remember the price.

I would recomend that you ask for a copy of the actual contract (dealer verbal opinion dosn't count for anything). Contact the number on the back of their glossy brochure and ask for it if you have to. Read it carefully to see if you can live with it for what they want for it. Its also high margin with a negotiable price, so you may want to shop around -and deal with managers directly so you don't have extra commisions worked into the price.

As DJay indicated on average they plan to make money on this, so if you don.t have a cash flow problem with sudden large bills, you might be better to be self-insuring. Over your life you will probably be farther ahead, especially if you just dump the lemons.

F. Plant

Reply to
F. Plant

That's pretty much it. For me, I bought it because I have an STi; new motor/turbo combo for 04. If something happens to the turbo, the cost is higher than the extended warranty. I am on the highway contantly. If you can afford a large bill for a sudden failure, then I wouldn't buy it. However, it is like insurance. There are chances that you will never have to use it, but when you do, its excellent to have.

Most companies that offer them have a good reputation for quality, or they would lose their shirts. However, for the few who do have a major failure, it is like buying peice of mind

Reply to
FNO