bearing replacement

I have had problems in the bearing region of my car. I just pulled off everything in order to replace my front right bearing, and noticed the reason for my car stopping. The bearing itself had actually jammed up and was rotating around this gadget (I don't know the name of it)

As you can see on the right side of the axle? it has been worn down a little bit as you can see in this picture. I tried to make it easy.

The main point of this conversation is to ask you subaru professionals if I should replace that, or if it's good to just leave on there. If I do need to replace it, what exactly is it called and does anyone have a spare one? From a 1997 impreza outback. thanks already!

Reply to
parker w.

The first photo looks like a hub and rotor.

As for the second one, I hope that party was fun!

Reply to
nobody >

Alright sorry mates.. i had the wrong link on there

here is what i meant to say!

"""I have had problems in the bearing region of my car. I just pulled off everything in order to replace my front right bearing, and noticed the reason for my car stopping. The bearing itself had actually jammed up and was rotating around this gadget (I don't know the name of it)

As you can see on the right side of the axle? it has been worn down a little bit as you can see in this picture. I tried to make it easy.

The main point of this conversation is to ask you subaru professionals if I should replace that, or if it's good to just leave on there. If I do need to replace it, what exactly is it called and does anyone have a spare one? From a 1997 impreza outback. thanks already! """

Reply to
parker w.

That part shown is the hub and it's a paperweight now. When it breaks you will also lose the wheel and tire. Need to also inspect the knuckle, that's the part the bearing is pressed into, for more damage. This to me is a wrecking yard repair. Got to believe any Legacy/Outback/Impreza hub and knuckle will interchange. Since you stated the car couldn't move, this tells me either the splines inside the hub are gone or the splines on the CV axle are worn away...or both.

Reply to
johninKY

alright. do you have any idea how much this will cost me? and could the lack of movement from my car be from the bearing being jammed and then having to break static fiction on the hub and just wore down to the point of spinning?

Reply to
parker w.

If the bearing has spun inside the housing, then the housing (steering knucle) is also junk. The wheel end of the CV axle is splined. The inside of the hub is splined. When either set of splines are damaged, the car will not move. The CV axle will rotate but it is for nought because it can't engage anything. Just replace the entire assembly with a wrecking yard part. Around here the assembly is in the $40 price range. Installing it is a DIY project with a few tools.

Reply to
johninKY