Canadian pricing inquiry

I'm just about to buy a WRX from a dealer in the West. The price I'm getting is the list price of $36,850 with everything included. $1350.00 freight, PDI,etc, document fees, air conditioning tax etc etc. Does that sound fair? I know the American price is discouraging when you convert it to our dollar but there doesn't appear to be anything we can do about that.

Thanks in advance.

Glenn

Reply to
Glenn

I got my WRX wagon for about halfway between list and invoice and now feel I may have left a few hundred on the table(buyer's remorse? lol!) - though in all fairness, I did order it befrore they were even on the lots. So, I KNOW I gave up the chance at any incentives that may come later in the year - plus I had no idea about demand and how that might've affected the dealer's incentive to give up more on their side. BUT, I got precisely the car I wanted. check the invoice and delivery/ad charges at

,also Subaru has 3% holdback (at least in the States) HTH

Carl

1 Lucky Texan
Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

I hear you man, I was wrangling with my Subaru dealer on a new Legacy and the most he could give me was 500 off. There seems to be tons of deals to be had in the states. In Canada all the import dealers seem to have a take it or leave it mentality. They know they will end up selling the car to someone, the demand is high for the imports.

If that is the price you are getting with sales tax and everything then it is a pretty good deal. I know the WRX retails for about 35K. I am thinking you are going to have to add GST and, potentially, some PST on top of that as well.

The other option, buy used. I ended up scoring a sweet deal on a used Legacy GT, only 7000 km in on the odometer and it still had the new car smell. Just a few rock chips but other than that everything was fine. Check out

MD

Thank you very much. I will check that out.

Glenn

Reply to
Glenn

This is the second car I bought from these folks and they are a great dealership. I think I'll be happy now.

Cheers.

Glenn

Reply to
Glenn

Look up Carcost canada (i believe thats it. Get the ACTUAL dealer cost number. This will cost you 20 bucks or so from the web site. Bargain from this number only. Dealer "Invoice" is a load of crapola. A fair mark up for a sale would be 200-500 for the dealer, MAX!

When I went in to my dealer (Saunders in Victoria, BC) I said I had the "dealer cost" number from the website. They gave me a quote that was about

300 over this cost, NO extra fees etc. All of the other dealers in Western canada had this fee or the other as well as a higher markup. Onew even tried to convince me that window security etching was a Mandatory Subaru program.

Phone Saunders if your in Western Canada. I think they are the highest volume subaru dealer in Canada.

Reply to
Grolsch

i can't believe people who think or expect that someone can stay in business making 1% markup on a product.

how about you get paid 1% over your cost of going to work?

Reply to
330xi

Reply to
Edward Hayes

Actually you can. In the states people often get the car below invoice. Even at invoice they still make money, plus they gouge you on services.

"330xi" ¦b¶l¥ó news: snipped-for-privacy@rogers.com ¤¤ ¼¶¼g...

Reply to
foxmon

Again, DEALER INVOICE MEANS NOTHING!. It's the dealer cost that counts, and yes they do get kick backs based on their volume. This means a crappy dealer has higher costs. It is worth it to pay for the DEALER COST info. This changes from region to region. Let some other sucker pay too much. You as an "informed consumer" can get the best deal and your purchase will be just a "numbers" sale, no real profit in the traditional aspect. Yes dealers hate the internet and all of the demanding consumers. They can't have us back on our heals like they used to. Don't forget, for the average consumer buying a car happens only a small number of times in a life, for the dealers this is thier turf. Get informed and consider it a sport to best the dealership. It's fun and you get to save money.

Reply to
Grolsch

so why aren't you bargaining at Sears or Walmart when you go in?

you go there all the time and would save a lot more money over the years.

they are making one hell of alot more mark up.

Reply to
330xi

Walmart etal have sufficient competition to motivate them to cut their margins. Either that or they have to find some niche and sell to snobs who insist on paying more.

It's not my responsibility to pad dealerships profit margins. I want as much car as I can get for as little as I can possibly pay, For me that was as an informed consumer purchasing a japan build subaru.

Reply to
Grolsch

and then you turn around and complain about the crappy service and over charging on parts and work done when you own the car and can't fiquire out why.

Reply to
330xi

You sound like a disgruntled car salesman 330xi

Reply to
Grolsch

A fair price for a product and proper service to go with it is more cost effective then screwing someone today for the best price and then paying for it for years to come. It's your Walmart mentality that turns the market place into a service-less waistland I would like quality support for my vehicle and other products that i purchase not just the cheapest price from the guys whose only priority is to sell as many cars as possible and then jerk you around for years and years

Reply to
330xi

Sure there is. Go to the USA to buy it.

Reply to
Spam Hater

So you admit vehicle service is not good. So service isn't a buying factor. Actually I have little problem here as I usually know what to repair when I go for service. I still have a chuckle over the service ads for frequent tune ups on todays cars.

Getting a good price doesn't require Web material, although it helps. My method has worked several times and it definitely doesn't require haggling.

The sales bull I've heard from car salesmen over the years is just amazing. Both on the vehicle and the pricing. I often wonder if they really believe their own tales.

No wonder customers have little respect for vehicle dealerships.

Reply to
Spam Hater