2005 Ford Focus 1.6l petrol - timing belt replacement

Our 2005 Ford Focus 1.6l petrol car is due its timing belt replacement (just passed 90k I think).
Are there any other jobs which make sense for the garage to do at the
same time? I've heard people say water pump in the past - but I don't know whether that advice applies to this car, or whether there's additional jobs as well which are also worth doing.
Finally, any advice to the approximate cost to expect (hours and parts) for the basic timing belt change, along with any additional work recommended?
Thanks
David
On 02/06/2016 09:22, David Hearn wrote:

you have to remove the cam belt to change the pump, so replace that and the coolant, total should be about three hundred all in.
On 02/06/2016 09:39, MrCheerful wrote:

Thanks for yours and alan_m's responses, sorry for the delay.
My local independent garage (in Surrey) who I've been happy with before, and is regarded well locally, has said that the pump doesn't come off the timing belt, and therefore can (in theory) be changed separately - although they did point out that having the timing belt off can improve access. Point was that if it wasn't weeping etc, then could be done later if it later became necessary and sometimes it's better to leave untouched if not needed. I also understand that if coolant gets on the belt, then the belt may need changing anyway.
I'd like to get pump done at same time, but the estimate for both belt and pump was fairly high.
Their estimate (quickly done whilst I was waiting) came in at 3 hrs for timing belt, with an Ina timing belt kit at £83.97+VAT. The work for the water pump was estimated as a separate section, so if I wanted the water pump done as well, that would be an extra 1.6 hours, plus £45+VAT for the pump, and £13.50 of coolant (3 @ £4.50+VAT)
Their hourly rate is £74+VAT. Therefore total estimate inc VAT for just belt is £370, and if want pump as well, then £582. The latter feels quite high considering Ford main dealer using Ford parts said it would be £700incVAT all-in, but I'd hope/expect that the 1.6 hours for pump might come down if done at same time as the belt (unless it was already reduced?), as much of the prep work would be common, and likely easier to get to with belt off. Does this sound a reasonable expectation?
Also, I'm not sure whether there's some movement on parts prices as Ford Parts UK have a complete Ford belt and pump kit at £92.40 + VAT (http://www.fordpartsuk.com/shop/ford_focus_14_and_16_duratec_timing_belt_and_water_pump_kit_f_1780142_c_589.htm ), which is cheaper than the separate after-market parts in the estimate. Also the belt kit (same part number) from Euro Car Parts website (down at the moment) is cheaper - I believe this also included VAT, suggesting that the estimate is probably list price?
Any thoughts? Being Surrey based I guess prices are higher anyway - but what about the hours/parts estimates? Does 1.6 hours for pump with belt off sound right - or more like the time independently of the belt work?
Thanks
David
On 20/07/2016 08:50, David Hearn wrote:

When the cam belt is off, the time to change the pump is about 15 minutes max. It is not possible to change the pump without disturbing the cam belt, I have had to do this exact job on a 20k mile 1.6 Focus which deleloped a squeaky pump ! Some years later I changed the cam belt and pulleys, but as it had only about another 15k on the clock, that time I left the pump alone. Normal change is at 100k, when a pump would be very sensible, the coolant also needs changing at that mileage.
The whole job, belts and pump plus coolant should only take a competent garage around 2 hours, with a feasible max of 3 if there are minor problems. In your position I would look for a visiting cambelt change firm, there are plenty about.

The 'might as well try it' cure for a squeaky water pump used to be a couple of shots of Redex in the coolant (preferably via the radiator cap, and not the header tank). More often than not, the squeak/squeal was actually the fanbelt, which usually responded to a puff of WD40!

--
Ian

Ian Jackson wrote:
[...]
coolant (preferably via the radiator

Really?
I would never use a lubricant on a belt drive. The correct way to check for noise from a slipping belt is to spray water on it.
Chris
--
Remove prejudice to reply.

On 25/07/2016 15:57, Chris Whelan wrote:

Which I did, finding it made no difference at all, I changed the pump.

The squealing noise from a fanbelt was sometimes not slippage, but rather it was the result of how its surface rubbed on the sides of the V-groove of the pulley(s) - ie a bit like rubbing a wetted finger around the rim of a wine glass. If so, the only permanent fix was to replace it.

--
Ian

On 25/07/2016 17:34, Ian Jackson wrote:

Which is why some cars use fanbelt grease (I am serious)
On 02/06/2016 09:22, David Hearn wrote:

Both belts (timing and auxillary) on my 2001 1.6 Focus was £260 all in.
--
mailto: news admac {dot] myzen co uk