CEL Warning/ 1997 Subaru Outback

Help!

My 97 Outback has been a dream -- without any problems (now at 80K). Car was parked outside during recent heavy rainstorm -- it started up fine but I took a short trip wihtout allowing it warm up properly and it sputtered along road...resumed normal performance briefly, then sputtered again and CEL light appeared. Returned home and parked it ouside.

Next morning rain stopped but weather is still damp -- checked basics under hood -- just a little low on coolant which I topped off...everything else appears fine. Started engine this morning and it turned over quickly

-- but CEL still lit -- warmed up car in drive and it sounds fine...could this just be dampness in wires?

I have no guidebook and am dependent upon kindness of Sube community for any suggestions before taking it to dealer (following long holiday weekend!)

Reply to
fatjack

If you are in the US you can go to any Autozone, and they will read the code for free. The only state where they don't do this is CA, and there they may "rent" you the scanner for a deposit to do it yourself. Once you have the actual code, in Pxxxx format, you can post it here for more assistance or do a search on it.

Reply to
mulder

Reply to
Wandering Willy