Changing Power Steering Fluid

Is there an "recommended" interval to change-out the power steering fluid? Is this ever really needed? Under what circumstances? One Subaru dealer in the area says "no" but a local shop that I normally trust recommended the fluid change. Thanks for the comments.

Stuart

1998 Forester
Reply to
ncwitz

Did it on my car (96 Brighton wagon, 220,000 kilometers) just to be sure. If you do it why not do as I did: put Mobil 1 synthetic ATF fluid in it. You cannot flush and replace ALL of the fuid. Use a poultry baster and suck up all you can, replace with new fluid, start the car, play with the steering wheel to have the new fluid circulate. Do that as many times as you have new fluid left in the bottle.

Reply to
Gilles Gour