Check Engine light

I have a 1999 Subaru Outback Sport with about 80,000 miles. The check engine light came on. I put the gas cap back on as instructed in the manual and it went off for a while. Now it is back on steady. I had the catalytic converter replaced at 59,000. What should I do?

Reply to
Richard

Crank that gas cap over tight several clicks six seven whatever. There is something in the 1999 program that can turn that light on if you go too fast, accelerate too quickly, eat a hamburger at Sonic, whatever.

Reply to
jacklinthicum

Get someone to read the scan code and look up what's wrong. There's literally 100's of possibilities. If you can just get the scan code, post it here and we'll look it up for you.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

If there is an Autozone near you go there and have them scan it, they do it for free. Get the exact code in Pxxxx format, and post it here, Without the code we really can't help you.

Reply to
mulder

Richard, Two of the Subaru's in our family have had to have oxygen sensor's replaced in the past few years. Both had around 75,000 miles on them at the time. This seems to be one of the most common reasons for the check engine light coming on.

Jon

Reply to
Zeppo

My 2000 OB has two green connectors under the dash. When you need trouble codes, you connect them and turn the ignition to ON (do not start the engine). They supposed to flash the codes out (first digit, break, second digit etc) with the check engine light or with the LED on the ECU unit (supposedly, I only read about it on some forum, but I do have connectors, just never used them yet). Anyway, Advanced Auto Parts stores also read codes for free through OBDII or other diagnostic socket. All you need to do is to lookup meaning of your codes somewhere. Hope this helps.

Marek K

Reply to
Marek Karcz

This method does not work on '96 and later OBDII vehicles. You can retrieve codes this way on older OBDI cars, using the procedures here-

OBDII cars the only way to retrieve codes is with a scanner.Plugging the green connectors together does put the ECU into adiagnostic mode but this is of no use to the average owner, no codesare displayed. The check engine light will flash continuously andvarious relays and solenoids will cycle.

Reply to
mulder

A place to start (although there are a lot of codes they don't have) is

Michael Pardee

I just went to AutoZone and they gave me the error code. Nice people. It is "P1130 Fuel air metering" I looked it up on the website and it said " Front oxygen sensor circuit malfunction (open circuit)". So I guess it sounds like it has the same problem as yours. I have a couple of questions. Do I have to get it repaired immediately? Should I take it to the dealer? And about how much will it cost? Thanks Richard

"Zeppo @hotmail.com>" Richard,

Reply to
Richard