defrost works only when ignition is off

I have a 1987 Chevy Celebrity. The defrost works only when ignition is off. Once I turn the car on, the air comes out of the vents. I used to be able to switch from the air condition to where the air comes out on my feet (on the floor) but now I can't. The other thing was my right signal light went out at the same time. I don't know if it is a coincidence or not. I don't have a lot of money and I would like to see if I can do this myself if I can. Please help. Thank you.

Reply to
cscarvellis

Why are you asking this in a Subaru forum?

Reply to
mulder

I am so sorry. When I registered I didn't see that I was in the wrong forum. This is my first time.

snipped-for-privacy@x.files wrote:

Reply to
cscarvellis

I had an older Chevy that acted somewhat similar and it was due to bad vacume hoses/conectors/controller. The ventalation controls in your car may also be vacume controlled. With the car off (no vacume) the vent controls must rest the baffle in the defroster position and the after you start the car and the motor produces vacume the baffle moves to the vent position. Beyand that I can't tell you too much more.

Steve

Reply to
SuperPoo