differences between turbo and non turbo forrester/impreza?

How do the different engines (2.5 vs 2.5 turbo) feel when driving a forrester or impreza?

Do they feel different right from the start (low RPM), or do they feel the same until the RPM reaches, say, 3000?

Reply to
peter

A turbo wont engage really before 2300,2400 RPM depending on the configuration.

Think of your vehicle's engine as an air pump that draws in air and fuel, ignites the mixture--propelling the internal parts and expelling the hot exhaust gases. Turbocharging, like a vacuum cleaner, brings in air, compresses it, and changes the atmospheric pressure inside your vehicle's engine.

A turbochargerd engine operates by the exhaust pressure exiting the engine, causing an impeller to spin a wheel. The impeller is connected (by a shaft) to a compressor; the compressor uses the energy from the impeller to spin and compress incoming outside air and forces it through to the engine. An actuator (attached to both the hot and cold side--the "hot" side is the cast iron portion of the turbo, the "cold" side, the aluminum portion) regulates boost pressure. The actuator can be "fooled" into thinking that the atmospheric pressure is different that it actually is!

If you have the $ a Turbo car is really fun to drive and the extra power can save your life (Personal experience ), "" Or kill you depending on your type of Driving. If you like speeding a lot.... i would avoid a turbo car. ""

Im a (Speed lover and agressive driver ) I currently drive a OBW with a

2.5 @ 165 HP (5 Speed ) And it's a perfect vehicule for me. Fast enough but not enough to be a Racing machine Like the Impreza WRX STI.

I would just like to improve the take off wich i guess is affected by the AWD. But againg my previous car been a 230 HP VW Jetta Turbo ( Modified ) and a V6 4 Liter Jeep...

Subaru should have improve the Torque by 20-30 Lbs Higher than the HP. Im sure it would make a big improvement

Pat

"peter" a écrit dans le message de news: wDJve.10189$dY1.6409@trnddc06...

Reply to
Patrick

Why not just testdrive them?

I could not see myself ever going back to an N/A 4 cylinder subaru after having 6 cyl and turbo 4 in the svx and forester XT. The 2.5 and 2.2 and

1.8 in non turbo form are just adequate. I have driven them all as we have many different subarus in the family. You have to flog the hell out of them to go anywhere fast. They are good engines, just weak for the weight of the car they are trying to move.

The difference in power is stunning and the driveability up hills and with a full load is awesome with the more powerfull turbo 4 and H-6 engines.

Reply to
Rat

Some of us are satisfied with mere adequacy, though I'm sure your observations are true.

I'm getting 24 mph overall from my 2.5 N/A engine, which is disappointing. A turbocharged engine might get the same, but a six-cylinder would surely be worse.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Reingold

I get 20/27 in the svx with the 6 and about the same with the turbo forester :)

Reply to
Rat

Wow, that's comparable to my measurements, since my driving is mixed. Pretty impressive for the H6.

What does the turbo H4 get?

Tom

Reply to
Tom Reingold

About the same 20/25 for the turbo - a little worse than the svx H6 on the highway due to the 4.44 axle.

The H6 does well on the highway mainly due to the 3.54 axle ratio. At

90mph it is only turning 3k rpms :)
Reply to
Rat

You're kidding! What is up with that!? I wish my car (2000 Legacy L wagon with 5-speed manual) had taller gears. I bet it would help fuel efficiency a lot. How come the H6 has taller gears than the H4?!

Tom

Reply to
Tom Reingold

That kinda depends on if mods are done or not, I've gotten as good as 30 even though I'm heavily modified. Prior to being modded I was getting under

20 on a regular basis (wrx ej20) but since going to aftermarket engine management (utec) I've been able to tune it for gas mileage, spirited driving and outright drag racing/auto-x. IMHO the first mod anyone should get (even if they NEVER race their wrx/sti) is a UTEC and get it on the dyno so you can set it up for your needs.
Reply to
iksalama