Don't need no stinkn' truck

Went to the county fair last week end where they held a tough truck competition event. To stir up the audience a little there was the typ "any Ford lovers out there & any Chevy lover out there". Then came a surprise, "anyone own a subaru,... I think there will be some subaru fans when it's all over." Wasn't expecting anything like this and didn't know what the announcer had in mind.

This was an event where parts end up laying all over the track and the busiest guy there is the tow truck driver. What was the announcer thinking?

Well when the event was all over what do we see, first place was a brat, second place was a late 80's wagon that looked like it was drove to the event and one of the crowd favorites, a little justy running duals on the front. No tow truck needed for the subies.

No we don't need no stinkn' 4x4 truck to run and win this competition.

Couldn't talk the wife into going out to the parking lot and get the OBW and going for a short drive. :-)

Mickey

Reply to
Mickey

The old 4x4 Subies were pretty tough little cars, and if you upgrade them with the proper lift and tires, they can be counted on to go anywhere that a truck can go, and some places trucks can't, due to a smaller size. As much as I appreciate the overall refinement and better road manners of the newer models, I do wish they'd kept a basic 4x4 in the lineup, much like how Jeep still makes the antiquated Wrangler.

-Matt

Reply to
Hallraker

I well remember back in the 70's when I lived in Los Alamos, NM. We had a volunteer ski hill just outside the town, elevation 9,000'-10,500'. Members had work assesments to be members to get discounted lift tickets. I had a '68

912 Porsche (only car) and would often have to catch a ride from the lodge to the peak via the winding road because the Porsche couldn't make it (1600cc). It was very often a Brat or VW bug! No problem for the Brat (with a smaller engine?) just get the revs up and go! Username munged by FixNews
Reply to
Don

competition event. To stir up the audience a little there was the typ "any Ford lovers out there & any Chevy lover out there". Then came a surprise, "anyone own a subaru,... I think there will be some subaru fans when it's all over." Wasn't expecting anything like this and didn't know what the announcer had in mind.

busiest guy there is the tow truck driver. What was the announcer thinking?

brat, second place was a late 80's wagon that looked like it was drove to the event and one of the crowd favorites, a little justy running duals on the front. No tow truck needed for the subies.

OBW and going for a short drive. :-)

************ In the whole story not once did you say what kind of competition it was.... ~ Paul aka "Tha Driver"

ThaDriver

******** Still wondering about that competition. Did they run the trucks into a brick wall? Do jumps? Pull each other? Run through potholes? ~ Paul aka "Tha Driver"

ThaDriver

The post was about how the Subaru's performed up against big 4x4 pickups and not about the event itself. Lets say it was a VERY rough road course, wet and dry.

Mickey

Reply to
Mickey

pickups and not about the event itself. Lets say it was a VERY rough road course, wet and dry.

********* Sounds like a lot of fun. I can see where the Subaru would do well. ~ Paul aka "Tha Driver"

ThaDriver

First sentence, "they held a tough truck competition event" says what kind of competition for most of us!

Reply to
JW

of competition for most of us!

********** Yeah, well; us old men have never heard of a tough truck competition & I had no idea what was involved... ~ Paul aka "Tha Driver"

ThaDriver

Same here. I guess he meant the drive over piles of broken truck parts, from the rest of his post.

So the Outback had some puncture resistant tires, I guess...

Reply to
CompUser