Subaru paint damage discount

When I was shopping for my Forester here in Minnesota, my salesman said they had one or two that were for sale at a big discount. They gave me a vague explanation: some sort of paint issue from the factory, or sat on the dock too long, or something on the paint. The models were not what I was looking for, so I did not consider them.

The other day I was in eBay and I say a dealer, in Virginia, selling Foresters with the same vague factory paint damage: "...industrial fallout ... debris on the paint..."

What the heck is this really about? Was it fallout from a volcano? Nuclear fallout? Industrial sabotage? Meteorites? Acid rain? Kryptonite?

Just Curious

here's the ad...

?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2487355636&category=13484

Reply to
P T

Could be. I know a guy that had paint on new Audi damaged when he parked in lot at chemical plant. Car had black specs all over it. Ships and car lots are usually in industrial areas where such things can occur. It would have to be pretty nasty stuff to eat through protective coatings/covers. I would imagine Subaru, like other manufacturers, would not release from factory like this. There are usually paint touch up shops outside the paint line for paint defects. So damage must have happened after car left factory. I would not buy a car without paint warranty. Every now and then a paint line or grade is defective and whole car must be repainted. Frank

Reply to
Frank Logullo

?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2487355636&category=13484>

Reply to
philjackson

I like the added sun twinkle on the hood of the ebay subaru.

?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2487355636&category=13484> >

Reply to
Kar Klean

?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2487355636&category=13484>

Just my two cents but...

I wouldn't have a problem with it at all, in fact I would probably go for something like this if I was in the market for a new car. As long as the paint isn't *horribly* damaged to the point where rust would be an issue in less than 3 or 4 years, I'd think of it as a sweet deal. Much of the hassle of owning a used car is never really knowing what happened to it before you got it. Even with a full service history, sometimes there are lingering questions about it. On the other hand, if you buy a new car you take it on the chin with depreciation the moment you drive out of the dealer's lot. The way I see it, this discount has the benefit of buying a new car (no dubious service history) with the lower price of a slightly used vehicle.

-Matt

Reply to
Hallraker