Drivetrain

Hi Guys

I have an imported WRX wagon Turbo and when reversing on full lock the inside rear tyre seems to be scrabbling for grip, it feels like the wheel is skidding. I hate to ask but is this normal?

Reply to
Brian Soper

Doesn't sound normal to me. Ensure you have tires of exactly the same type and size (within 1/2" circumference). If not, correct immediately. Try some tight circles/figure '8s' in a parking lot. Any jerkiness/grabbing is likely a symptom of 'torque bind'. not good.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Hi Carl

Tyres are identical. It does seem a bit grabby......I'm reluctant to ask, but what is torque bind? It sounds expensive!

Brian

Reply to
Brian Soper

I assume you have a manual tranny. If so you have a viscous coupled center differetnial. They are less prone to developing torque bind (failure of the center differential - that is, it behaves as if it is locked up) than the auto tranniies but it is not impossible. I suppose it could be something else. Very slight possibility you have a frozen U-joint or some issue with a brake caliper, CV joint or bearing. My guess is torque bind. Try searching this newsgroup for 'torque bind' or over at

.

If it is the center diff. it will need replacing.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan