electric window problem

I own a 1997 Subaru Outback wagon (Legacy) and have experienced problems with two windows. The drivers window shifts slightly while closing and is no longer airtight. The glass is somewhat tilted so that the upper right corner (while facing the door) extends above the weather stripping.

Another window doesn't open at all. My assumption is that the switch is defective.

How easy is it to replace the switch, if necessary? How do I remove the door panel to access the mechanism?

Thanks.

John

Reply to
Redlocks

John,

I have had a similar problem with my '96 Legacy Outback driver's window and it turned out that the window regulator mounting screws in the door had loosen -- one had come out and fallen into the bottom of the door. I could see from marks in the paint how much the regulator had shifted and how much to move it back.

To remove the door panel:

1) Disconnect the battery negative cable. 2) With a small screwdriver pry out the cap over the screw on the underside of the armrest and remove the armrest. 3) Pry off the cap over the screw for the door latch handle and remove screw. 4) Pry off trim cap over retaining screw at front edge, about 2/3 up on the trim panel and remove screw. 5) Using a putty knife or similar wide-bladed tool, insert between door and trim panel to pop retaining clips from door. Start near top rear of door and work your way down and around trim panel until panel comes free of door. Clips are about 5 to 6 inches apart; pry only at clip locations. 6) Once all of the clips are disengaged, carefully lift the door panel up and off the top edge of the door. The lip of the panel hooks over the door edge at the window opening. Disconnect wiring connectors as need. 7) Carefully peel back the plastic covering the inside of the door. You will want the plastic to reseal when you are ready to reassemble.

With regard to the inoperative window, it may be just a connection problem; so inspect the wires and disconnect and connect the connectors and then hook up the battery again to test. If I recall correctly, on the driver's door, the switch mounting assembly must be removed from the door -- screws on the back side of the door -- to beable to remove the switches from the mounting plate. I was working on the power door locks but access for the power windows is the same.

Hope this helps.

Ed P

Reply to
Ed P