2002 Sienna Pings

Ok, my van pings under load. The shop (Toyota in Chantilly, VA) did the standard decarb, cleaned the throttle body, and the save the world can of BG44k. Well of course the Van sill pings. They say use 93 Octance and don't use Mobile, Exxon, Hess, etc. which is about every gas station with 15 miles of my house. (BTW, Exxon was thrilled to hear Toyota doesn't recommend their gas)

Any ideas. No engine codes, no sure if this vechile has an EGR, at least I can't find one. The manual says 87 Octane or 93 for increased performance (yea right).

I use 87 like all my other cars and what I used for the first 4 years of ownership. There is no way I am paying for the 93 in a minivan. My Nissan doesn't ping with this gas, my Ford Windstar doesn't ping with this gas, my corrolla didn't ping with this gas, which they claim is the problem. I had the problem for about 4+ months along with numerous other problems not usually found on Toyotas.

Again any ideas?

Scoot

Reply to
scott_cornwell

I've had a number of pinging complaints in the first gen Sienna over the years. On a few occasions we've had a Field Rep come out to inspect a few of them, and have been told that some audible pinging in the Sienna is normal. For whatever reason, be it the shape of the engine compartment or cowl, the Sienna is just louder than the other 1MZ vehicles.

Reply to
qslim

I'm having the same issue with my Subaru Outback. I know this is not Subaru discussion group, but to reply to your issue with engine ping (detonation) I was angry to learn that my 4 cylinder engine designed (and recommended by Subaru) to use 87 AKI gas now has to use 94 AKI (fortunately available in Vancouver, B.C.). With 87/89 and even 92 AKI it pings like crazy.

Everything I tried (you mentioned it as well) was to no avail. Now I just have to live with it. Even Subaru rep. for North-West Canada said that at some point in engine's life I have to switch to higher octane fuel.

Well, this was no message to give you any solution (sorry) but to comfort you that you're not alone (hope that helps).

Cheers, Voja

Reply to
Voja Ilic

The vehicle only has 44k. Ping / detonation is NOT normal and is very bad.

I use to be a mechanic back in the early 90s and this is just when more sophisticated sensors like knock sensors just came out. I am almost positive the shop didn't do any testing like measuring the voltage from the knock sensors while taping on the engine block with a hammer. Check the knocks sensors are a great idea! Thanks! It looks like I will have to do that myself.

If some mechanic tells you to live with your car's ping that is there way of saying they don't know what's wrong. Depending on the severity of the knock or detonation could damage your motor plus you are not getting the full performance of the vehicle and gas mileage, as you should. IMHO this would then be covered under the power train warranty and they should do everything including replacing your motor if they can not fix the ping.

I was told another test with vehicles with knock sensors is to tap on the engine block and use a timing light and visually see the timing retard. No sue if this will work with the vehicle sitting still but I will try. I will get back to everyone if the problem is resolved. Thanks for the input!

Reply to
scoot

You'll need a multi meter with a data store function because the signal from the knock sensor is very momentary. The knock sensor is basically a piezo electric crystal like that used in barbecue sparkers - when the crystal is stressed, it emits a static spark.

Rev the engine enough so that the timing is advanced before you start banging. Just make sure you don't whack the knock sensor itself or any other delicate parts ;-) The difficulty you may have with checking timing is if the engine has a coil -over-plug setup, then you need some kind of connector to pick up the #1 cylinder spark signal.

I seem to recall reading about issues with Siennas pinging, but I'm not sure.

Reply to
Ray O

Reply to
scoot