Factory fill Oil? 2008 Outback

Does anyone know what the factory filll oil is for the 2008 Outback? Weight and Brand.

Thanks, Matt

Reply to
fly1747

*****Who is the OEM fluid manufacturer? Provided by: John Mergen/Sam Hasen/Takita Kashwa of SOA customer service:

engines are factory filled with: Nisseki-Mitsubishi 5W-30

manual transmissions are filled with: Subaru Extra-S 75w-90 gear oil

automatic transmissions are filled with: Subaru ATF

rear diffs (except: STI) are filled with: Nisseki-Mitsubishi 85w-90 gear oil

STI rear diffs are filled with: Subaru LSD 90LS 90wt *****

above found at;

fyi

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Is the engine oil full or semi synthetic?

Thanks again.

Reply to
fly1747

I don't know. Perhaps there's info or a way to email for specifics through a Subaru site or Endwrench. Or search/ask at

if no one here knows.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Hi,

There seems to be quite a bit of "discussion" about what the factory fill "really" has been over the last 3 or 4 years, so maybe Carl's links provide a better answer, but unless the owner's manual recommends synthetic as a first choice (as with certain recent Corvettes, Porsches and others), I'd think it safe to believe factory oil is dino.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright

Well, who knows how up-to-date that FAQ is. But I'd be surprised (not shocked though) to discover the factory oil is syn or semi-syn.

You could also try emailing Joe at

or ask your dealer.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Hi,

Yeah, same here: I'm just thinking the bean counters would have a lot of say on issues such as oil where any "documented" benefits would only occur far down the line (WAY past the "bottom line." ;) )

I once worked w/ a fellow who'd been employed in data processing for one of the Big Three US auto companies, and he told of a study they did on the "savings" if they cut a single bolt from one design. Over the run of the vehicle in question, the savings was millions. The cost of the bolt? One half cent (plus the time to screw it in!) I'm sure there was grumbling from the engineering dept, but to little avail.

So I can imagine the accounting dept. having a fit if someone suggested they pay half a buck a quart more (guessing at the mfr cost?) for a "consumable" such as motor oil!

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright