Legacy Lights

I have an '03 Legacy L SE Wagon which comes with factory installed driving ("fog") lights (although smaller than those on OBW). I've noticed that when I switch my headlamps to high beam, the fog lights switch out, and come back on when I dip them. Any one know why they behave like this ?

It may just be my perception, but to me their aim fills in the immediate foreground that the headlamps on either setting don't cover, which is nice on Connecticut backroads to illuminate suicidal opossums or the like which amble on to the road just in front of you!

Reply to
Alan Pollard

The idea behind fog lamps is that they are pointed low to the gound so as to not "light up" the fog. If you are driving in fog, you would never use your high beams, as they would only serve to light up the fog more, making a "white out" kind of condition. Sooo... if you reverse the logic, if you have your high beams on, you must not be driving in fog, so you don't need the fog lamps. It's a "feature", along the lines of that dangerous "parking lights" switch.

Reply to
Alan

Still - fog lamps are mostly useless unless you're travelling at low speeds, or there's heavy fog (to improve visibility). I live in a hilly area, and it ticks me off to no end when I get blinded by someone's fog lamps pointed straight at my windshield as they're cresting a hill. Fog lamps are usually very concentrated.

Most fog lamps are misused. Some states (and most European countries) have restrictions on the conditions that fog lamps can be used in.

Reply to
y_p_w

I brought up this topic on my 2002 Sedan and the answer has been pretty much the same. The fog lights as fog lights to me have been useless as the low beams give too much light bounce back. Especially during moderate snowfall. I think I've had mine on maybe 6 times since I bought the car.

I've found that driving with the switch set to parking so that my indicator lights are on and the DRL is on at 80% works far better and produces almost no light bounce back.

Reply to
null

page 56:

  1. Fog lights are auxiliary driving lights which may be used with the low beam headlights to provide general illumination ahead of a motor vehicle. A fog light shall be white, yellow, or amber in color. Approved fog lights shall meet the requirements of SAE J-583d.
Reply to
Jack Gavin

Yes, the fog lights are wired that way to conform to all state laws. We use them here to see in snow storms and are a great asset. However, they are completely different than driving lights. The foglight beam is set to spread a wide illumination from left curb to right curb with no forward focus. I wired my first set of fog(snow) lights to their own switch, and yes, they were vastly superior to the low beam combination. Manufacturers cannot allow a position of "foglights-only" because (too many) American drivers can't tell the difference. Some can't even tell they have NO lights on in the city.

-Bill Radio

Reply to
Bill Radio

Manufacturers cannot allow a position of "foglights-only" because (too many) American drivers can't tell the difference. Some can't even tell they have NO lights on in the city.

Huh? The majority of Ford/GM cars/trucks/suvs made in the past few years allow the fog lights to work independent of the low/high beams.

Reply to
John

AMEN!!! I live in a mountainous area, commute in darkness a good percentage of the year in snow, and am constantly blinded by drivers who keep the "fog" lights on all the time. The manufacturers don't help the situation since the "on" switch does not cancel when the ignition is turned off. The situation is worse from high standing pickups and SUV's. Many years ago I lived in Europe for a few years. There, my fog lights were switched independently and were effective, since there was no bounceback from the low beams. I've noticed that Chrysler pick ups can run with just their fog lights on. Hello Subaru, are you listening?

Reply to
Mohawk Jake

I think that factory fog lamps can't turn on independently by US federal regulations.

Reply to
y_p_w

Correct. Ask D.Stern for the actual ID on which law it is, but it is not legal to have foglights lit independently of low beams. Terry - '02 Regatta-Red GT wagon 5spd - 25,000 miles '03 Silver Legacy SE auto-sedan - 2450 miles Yakima / TandeMover / Rockymount rack To reply, get rid of the "nonsense"

Reply to
TW-Ohio

"John" wrote: | | Manufacturers | cannot allow a position of "foglights-only" because (too many) American | drivers can't tell the difference. Some can't even tell they have NO lights | on in the city. | | Huh? The majority of Ford/GM cars/trucks/suvs made in the past few years | allow the fog lights to work independent of the low/high beams.

Not to my knowledge. By independently, it is meant you could have ONLY the foglights on, with NO headlights...

john cline ii, who agrees that with American drivers, this option would not be a good thing....and with fogs having to have the headlights on as well, the purpose is nearly defeated

Reply to
john cline ii