Flashing "security" light ('06 Outback sedan)

Hi there:

Hoping someone can help with a securty issue that is (unfortunately) explained rather vaguely in my owner's manual.

Upon turning off the engine and removing the key, the red dashboard "security" light in my '06 Outback sedan flashes (one flash every three seconds).

If I set the alarm or lock the doors with the key fob, it changes to a rapid flashing for 30 seconds, then settles into a two-flash "armed mode" (this is correct as explained in the manual).

BUT: If I walk away from the car and do nothing (ie DON'T lock the doors or press the key fob) the security light will still keep flashing this one flash every three seconds.

The only reference to any sort of "single-flash" pattern in the manual is that the car is in "valet mode" (ie no alarm but the doors are locked), but I have not knowingly placed it into "valet mode."

When I follow the manual's steps to take it out of "valet mode," I can get the odometer to flash "alarm on" or "alarm off" as it should. But still, either way, the single-flash mode with the doors unlocked and ignition off never goes away.

So, am I unknowingly in "valet mode" or not?

Or, more importantly, is a single-flash security light "normal" for when the car is shut off--and the owner's manual just neglects to mention this?

Thanks for your help!

Reply to
Tim

I believe you might have it set to AUTOMATICALLY set the alarm when the key is removed. With all these computers in cars, they are starting to have the user change these options. Not sure if Subaru allows this or you need the dealer to un-program this. This is if the alarm is auto alarming... check your manual ! !

Reply to
M. Butkus

Thanks for the reply, but "auto alarm" is not the case in this particular make of vehicle.

I have indeed scoured the "security" section of the manual several times over and it is annoyingly vague about what this single flashing security light means.

It suggests the car is in "valet mode," yet I can also still set the alarm and make it go off (by opening the trunk using the inside latch while seated in the locked vehicle).

Reply to
Tim

I've also wondered about this on our '06 Legacy Limited Edition wagon. I suppose I don't much care as long as the system is arming when I hit the "lock" button on the fob.

Reply to
Hal Whelply