Follow-up on 95 Legacy that suddenly died

Hello all! I posted here a couple weeks ago about a 95 Legacy that just died without warning. We just spend e few frigid hours following up on the leads advised here, and here are the results: The ignition coil module resistance tests are within the normal range. There is current making it to the ignition module. There is power going to the injectors when we try to start. There is no spark on the plugs. We could not smell gas on the plugs, but it's cold out there and by then we has runny noses... The gas pump builds up pressure normally. The famous crank position sensor, well, how do you test the darn thing? The car is outside, in a tempo garage. Methods described tell you to raise the car and spin a tire and check for regular modulation of the current, or to spin the pulley manually to do the same thing. Right... Cannot do either. We removed the sensor, at least that's easy to do, and is has a magnetic charge that fluctuates when you run another magnet near it. The little silver canister is a bit loose. I'm really tempted to call my local Subaru dealer and order the part anyway. So... we're at a loss. Now we are suspecting the igniter (near the firewall). Ideas? We did not check engine compression because we were getting really cold. Naked hands, - 4 degrees, cold metal... It will be the next thing to do, but my brother is leaving for the week, so it won't be done until next week. So, please, Subaru experts out there, if you could give us your best guess, we would really appreciate it! I really miss my car, in the meantime I'm having to drive this PoS Ford Tempo and I hate it! Thanks to all!

Louise the ferretlady

Reply to
Louise the ferretlady

The ignitor and CAS are good guesses. I always first suspect a broken timing belt when a Subaru suddenly quits running but a broken belt does not explain your no-spark condition. If the ignitor used on this model is anything like that used on the older models, it has to be grounded to the body to function. No ground=no spark.

-- Message posted using

information at

johninKY

Wait - isn't the reason there's a crank and cam angle senosr specifically to prevent starting if they disagree due to a broken belt?

Holding a strip of paper to the tailpipe while cranking the starter might tell us about the timing belt. If the paper tries to 'suck in' to the tailpipe - some exhaust valves could be open during a downstroke.

I dunno - just a wag

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Carl, I have no idea. Still stuck in my own private time warp driving XT6s. But your wag makes sense to me.

john

-- Message posted using

information at

johninKY

Sometimes I get really miffed with the darn price differences. I can get the Crank Position Sensor online for about 30$. My Subaru dealership charges me 180$ for the same part! Crap! But on the other hand, mufflers and wheel bearings are cheaper if you buy them at the dealership than anywhere else. Go figure... So, apart from a code reader (which we do not own) can anybody tell me how to diagnose a sick igniter? That part is worth 160$ online, I hate to think what my dealership will want for it...

Louise the ferretlady

Reply to
Louise the ferretlady

Any wrecking yards around you? This is a $5 part used. Did you ever check for a broken timing belt?

-- Message posted using

information at

johninKY

When you say there is power to the injectors, are you talking about the constant positive or to actual pulses on the injectors? Injectors are connected all the time to the positive and get the negative side in pulses. A noid lamp would be the best way to test them. This are available at some auto parts stores.

If you are talking about pulses to the injectors, then the timing belt is ok.

The crankshaft positon sensor can be easily checked with a voltmeter. By holding the sensor still, and moving a screw driver in front of it, you should be able to read voltage on the sensor pins. Same is also valid for the camshaft position sensor.

You can read more here:

Via email I have sent the pages scanned from the subaru service manual. I hope this info helps,

Good luck

john> Any wrecking yards around you? This is a $5 part used. Did you ever check

Reply to
AS

Did you try reading out codes? In the US all cars by 1996 had to have an OBD-II port but Suby had them already in 1995. A reader can be had for $40 or less, and it will tell you about almost everything people here are suggesting you test. Bob Wilson

Reply to
Robert L Wilson