Forester dies on ther road

Just got my daughter's '01 Forester back from the mechanic the other day after replacing an O2 sensor (thank god it wasn't the Catalytic converter).

She drove it around for a day and took it to a party last night. On the way home she was driving down the road the runs past our street when the Forester just died. The motor stopped and all the dash lights went off except for the radio, which was still playing through her iPod. She thinks the headlights were off as well, but she can't recall for sure.

She coasted to the shoulder and put it in park and turned off the headlights.. She tried starting it and it didn't do anything the first time. The starter didn't spin and there were no dash lights.

She tried it again and it started right up. She drove it home and it seemed fine. It started OK this morning but I was worried about having her drive back to school with it.

We gave her our spare car and I checked hers over. I couldn't find anything loose or burned. No relays or fuses bad that I could see. Battery terminals tight. I decided to take it back to the mechanic after work today and have him check it out tomorrow.

What could have caused that?

TIA Jon

Reply to
Zeppo

Does it have a Sears "Diehard" battery in it? If it does..thats your problem. They pressfit the "Dogbone" straps between cells and they fail...

Reply to
Roger Buttsnort

Should be a code stored. Get it read at Autozone.

Dan D '99 Impreza 2.5 RS (son's) Central NJ USA

Reply to
Dano58

Reply to
Zeppo

You mentioned that the battery cables were tight. How about the other end of the ground cable where it attaches to the body?

Reply to
Weaponer

Roger, It has an Interstate I put in last year.

Reply to
Zeppo

I didn't check that, so maybe. I didn't crawl under the car either so it could be a lot of things loose down there.

I checked with my mechanic this morning He checked it over pretty thoroughly was going to drive it around on errands today and then drive it home tonight and see if he can replicate the problem.

Thanks, Jon

Reply to
Zeppo

It's possible if it was a temporary/intermittent thing.