head gusket problem

I took my car (2001 Forester) to dealer for 75K service today...they told me the car engine has problems with head guskets: ~$2,6K repair. Luckily, I have extended warranty (which will expire in less than 2 months), so I'll only need to pay $100 deductible. Dealer also told me to replace timing (or driving?) belt and water pump - because they'll need to take the engine apart anyway...I said OK. Is there anything else (obvious) I should ask them to check while the extended warranty's still valid?

Boris

Reply to
boris

If it were me, I'd definitely get new idler, tensioner and other rotating parts along with the TB and water pump. Dunno about the oil pump rebuild kit. probably that too.

Sounds like th edealership knows what they're doing - but anyone can make a mistake. If the car even 'seems' like it's gonna over heat, or it runs a little odd, take it back and have them double-check 'burping' air from the coolant system and TB timing.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Thanks a lot for the advice!