Hot for the puppy...

Hi!

I've been wondering, is there any harm in leaving the car running with the A/C on while I'm gone from the car and the dog is inside? Half an hour/

45 mins. I wouldn't think so, but would really like input from others...

How would I open/close door and still keep the security system on?

I appreciate any help!

H.

Reply to
number 9

This post makes me wonder if Paris Hilton has Internet access in jail.

Reply to
Bonehenge (B A R R Y)

Would you leave your KID in a car like that?

Leave the doggie home, where he belongs... I can't believe you would even consider this. This is a joke..right?

Reply to
Porgy Tirebiter

Why? (BTW Paris takes her puppy with her in the store... Rumors has it that the puppy is in jail with her.)

Anyway, I don't see your point... Do you have some more useful input?

H.

Reply to
number 9

Any responsible pet owner would leave the dog home if it's that hot.

Reply to
Bonehenge (B A R R Y)

hmmm...

Sooo, - if you go on vacation down south, you would "responsibly" leave your dog at home, would you? How hot is "that hot"?

Pro dog handlers take dogs worth thousands of dollars on the show circuits. The dogs are often housed in crates in trailers with A/C. I have still to hear any of our animal activists complain... - not that I care what they say.

So lets get back to the question, shall we??? (Let's cut the time down to 10 minutes :)

Anyone???

H.

Reply to
number 9

Understood!

A purpose-built trailer or motorhome with A/C, including the possibility of "shore power" on either, housing a show animal, is very different from a car with a pet in it, left running in a parking lot, while the owner picks out new jeans or a big screen.

You didn't ask about the former.

Reply to
Bonehenge (B A R R Y)

How are they "VERY DIFFERENT"? Have you seen the size of the crates? Do they use a special type of Freon that makes the temperature more pleasent &-)? PLZ tell me.

Have YOU been inside one? NO. HOW HOT IS "THAT HOT"? Where do "THEY PARK"? WHAT DIFFERENCE DOES IT MAKE "WHERE THEY PARK"? Explain to us , if you can, how they "ARE VERY DIFFERENT"...

My Forester is fitted with the Subaru pet partision. That is plenty more space than what Feds call for. It is also a place my 30lbs. whippet enjoys! There is ample food to snack on and available water.

BTW - the time is lowered to 10 min. to please you ;-)))

Reply to
number 9

In many communities, you would likely either hear your name over a loudspeaker or return to your car in time to find a window busted out, a fireman holding your dog, and 2-3 cop cars. Folks will dial 911 around here if they see that - just for the 'perception' that its cruel.

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Sorry, I'm bored.

Thanks for posting.

Reply to
Bonehenge (B A R R Y)

The biggest problem would be risk of theft- a running car is very tempting for thieves- bust a window or jimmy lock. Then your car and dog are gone. There's a chance car might stall but thats not likely.

5-10 m> How are they "VERY DIFFERENT"? Have you seen the

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Reply to
bigjim

Yes, Lucky Carl,

Some years ago a woman left a toddler in a running car with the heater on. She went inside to pay for gas and a coffee. When she returned outside some creep was driving away and the toddler dragging outside with his pantleg caught. A mile or two later he thief/murderer was forced over to the roadside by some civilian cars.

The politicians in all surrrounding cities passed laws to ban cars from running with the driver away... In our city a very bright young law proffessor was elected into office. He took issue with the ban, since many pet owners left the A/C on.

The ban was recinded in our city, but thanks for pointing that out, I don't know about the sorrounding ones!

Anyway, could one still make the security system work?

As allways, thank you Lucky %))

Reply to
number 9

Enjoyed the chat 8-)))

Reply to
number 9

Yep, in fact, he is very to meet new people!

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Reply to
number 9

Some animals have abandonment issues (flame me if you must) and can't be left home safely by themselves. It hardly seems practical to kennel or have them babysat for only a matter of an hour or so. I'm not going to appoint myself judge of this situation.

In my Impreza I installed a remote start unit that allows me to continue running the car while the key is out. You can not steer the car while the key-interlock is engaged from removing the key, and you can not shift out of park without pressing the break pedal, which turns off the system. Yes, this could be potentially unhealthy for puppy if the car turns off, but I'm sure a clever person could figure out how to make such a device work for your purposes. The brake pedal off-switch feature is hardly a necessity, and could be wired into some other device such as the panic on the alarm perhaps? It is a two-way system that informs the remote when the car starts and stops.

Can't say I'm familiar with the pet partition and I don't feel like looking up the details right now, but hopefully it prevents puppy from operating, accidentally or otherwise, any of the driver's controls, and from injuring himself while you are away.

Can you otherwise activate your security system with the car running? How do you normally open and close the door while leaving the security on? Maybe this is not an option. Would puppy set the alarm off while you were gone if you did leave it set?

Might want to ensure there is no chance of exhaust gases circulating in through a cracked window or leaky hatch. You can always sit your car in your driveway for a half-hour with the A/C on and see what happens. Maybe try a carbon monoxide sensor, properly installed, where puppy would be riding since the time period does seem to be a tad longer than what would seem usual.

Perhaps you could get a wheel boot (not for the steering wheel)? How many car thieves carry the equipment to remove a car boot!

~Brian

Reply to
strchild

I don't think there is any provision for the stock system to be armed while keys are in the ignition, much less with engine running. have you tested it?. Perhaps there is an aftermarket unit or maybe other dog owners (even a dog related newsgroup or forum) know of a solution. There ARE aftermarket remote starters used by folks up north that might allow you to run the engine without the keys in the car. That should also satisfy communities (like my own) that have laws againts unattended vehicles with the keys in the ignition.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

It also might be a good idea to fashion a sign for the driver's window when you do leave the car like this that states plainly to any would-be thieves or good citizens, "car is idling without keys for the safety of puppy and will deactivate, sound alarm, etc. if tampered with."

~Brian

Reply to
strchild

'Cause she's a ditz...

Reply to
Hachiroku

I'm just wondering where he's parking this thing...I need a Suby, and I like dogs...

Reply to
Hachiroku

Yeh, but you wouldn't turn her down, would you??? (never mind the $$$$$$$).

Reply to
number 9