How to check sway bar links?

Hello

I have a 2000 Legacy Wagon, bought it with ~115000km last spring.

How do I check the sway bar links? Sway bar bushings? A procedure that does not require lifting the car would be best... :)

Thanks in advance.

Nicolas

Reply to
Nicolas Dore

use a hydraulic jack and axle stands. most cars are heavy to lift :)))))))

Subaru

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Howdy again!

Well, I still don't know how to check my sway bar links... :-/

So, anyone have a tip?

Nicolas

Reply to
Nicolas Dore

You shouldn't need to raise the car for this sort of inspection. My

2002 Legacy has enough ground clearance for lift-free oil changes, etc.

-Zippy

Reply to
Verbs Under My Gel

Basically you want to check for excessive play at the rubber bushings on either end of the end links, and for play and metal fatigue (cracks) at the bar mounting bushings, and possibly also where the end link connects to the suspension. This is much easier if you put the car up on jackstands, as this will unload the suspension/sway bar, in addition to allowing enough room for you to slide under and have a close look at the parts. If you can feel (or hear) any play in the endlink or bar bushings (up and down, not side to side necessarily) it's time to replace them, likewise if you notice cracks (could be as subtle as a hairline defect in the powdercoating). One could argue that once you've gotten this far, the work to replace the bushings is fairly trivial, and new parts are pretty cheap . . . YMMV.

ByeBye! S.

Thank you!

Will try and check this weekend...

Nicolas