LHS Sway Bar

My 1999 LHS, with 102K miles, has been developing kind of a soft rattle/thump sound in the front end when driving on rough streets. I've done some checking on this and found that likely causes are the sway/stabilizer bar bushings and/or the bars' end links. I thought I would change the links and the bushings, using aftermarket replacements. The problem is that of the bushing size. Apparently there are two sizes of bars, one about 25mm and the other about 27mm. I do not have a measuring device that is that accurate, so could someone please post the LHS sway bar size, along with any "nice to know" tips for this job? Thanks, Steve

Reply to
Steve Wms

The rattling noise is caused by the end links anyway. They're hard, and that's how they're able to make a rattle.

Reply to
Joe

The end links dont get hard, they just wear out. The sway bar bushings get hard.

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
damnnickname

I disagree that it can't also be sway bar bushings. End links or worn bushings either one can cause pretty much the same symptom - I know that one first hand.

Bill Putney

Normally the sway bar bushing noise is heard as you sway right to left. You hear the bar clunking. The stabilizer link noise is heard as you are hitting a bump or pot hole.

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

I'm surprised to read that since the sway bar pretty much puts sudden and reversing-direction stresses (it's the reversing-direction stresses that makes the clunking noises) on both parts under exactly the same circumstances, i.e., the sway bar has to push hard against one to push hard against the other. I'm not saying you're wrong - I'm just saying I don't see how, under a given situation, one would be banged around (clunking) and not the other.

Bill Putney

Let me clarify the last sentence ("I'm just saying I don't see how, under a given situation, one would be banged around (clunking) and not the other."): By that I'm saying the stresses are there, and if either or both parts (i.e., bushing or end link) are worn out, the opportunity is there for the clunking noise to be present (due to whichever part is worn out). What I'm trying to clarify in this post is that the stresses will not cause noise if neither part is worn out, but if either part (or both parts) is (are) worn out, you will get the clunking under the same conditions.

Bill Putney

You are correct. If the sway bar bushings are far enough gone (and I've seen them this far gone on my son's '87 Lebaron) the sway bar just sort of rattles freely in the bracket.

Reply to
Joe Pfeiffer

My 2004 Chrysler mini-van developed a front end rattle over bumps. I changed the sway bar bushings and the rattle went away. I then changed out the end links (not as easy as it should be) just to cover my bases.

Richard.

Reply to
Richard