sway bar links

I have a broken sway bar link up front. Clunk.

It looks pretty straightforward, but what's the best way to go about replacing these? Would a set of sway bar disconnects do the trick? Any trick to getting that hex bolt loose?

Thanks,

Brian

L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Brian did pass the time by typing:

Vepickle?

This is my write up on sway bar bushings.

DougW

I would be interested to find out how he broke it

Reply to
Billy Ray

I broke two factory sway bar links (at different times) on my '02 TJ in just "normal" driving and off-roading. The nylon "ball joint" at the top goes bad and you get a loud clunking noise.

Tom

Reply to
mabar

I usually see folks hold the 'torx' bolt steady with a torx socket and use a socket wrench to turn the nut part. On a TJ anyway....

Mike

Mike Romain

That's probably what's wrong with mine. Any good ones that last more then a year?

Reply to
Scott in Baltimore

If it's a TJ he probably went over a speedbump at an angle...

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

I have an XJ, a decade old with 120K miles - no rough stuff. I've only had it a year, and it was probably cracked when I bought it. I wish I had time to order disconnects, but we're planning on taking the Jeep across country for Thanksgiving, and leaving Tuesday morning. I reckon I'll have to take it to the shop, which galls me, because it's not THAT difficult a fix. I just don't have any air tools to break the old bolts loose. Thanks, y'all.

Brian

Have you seen this web page?

Perhaps a local shop will weld the factory link for you.

Reply to
Billy Ray

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

After I broke one, I replaced the ends with Teraflex quick disconnects.

Lots of PB Blaster, a 3lb sledge and a pickle fork got the old balls off.

PB Blaster is your friend.

Have fun!

Reply to
B a r r y

The stock links really suck. Mine broke during some very calm beach driving.

I didn't get to fixing it for about a year, and noticed that with no sway bar, the front suspension works incredibly well, except during highway driving or towing. I decided to go with discos so I could use it or lose it.

Every failure on a Jeep is an opportunity to customize it!

Reply to
B a r r y