Anti sway bar question

Have 92 E 250 Ford van. Has front sway bar. When going through a dip (water drain on street) at a 45 degree angle, the back of van whips? sways?. Would a rear sway bar make this worst or better? TIA Warren

Reply to
warren weber

Not sure if it would make any difference at all. However, generally speaking to make a car "push" you add more front bar, to make it "loose" you add more rear bar. If you're having traction issues at the rear, generally speaking, adding more rear bar is counterproductive.

Which reminds me, I need a bigger front bar for my '62... (got a rear bar ready to install, don't want to end up too tail happy...)

nate

Reply to
Nathan Nagel

Ah, I think you are confusing sway with what an "anti sway" bar actually does - it increases the *roll* stiffness of the vehicle.

How are your rear spring bushings?

nate

Reply to
Nathan Nagel

Nate.. Bushings are OK. Have 8000 GVW springs. Have installed gas shocks. I made this into a mini motor home. Has everything except a shower. Had pop top installed. Only have 50K miles on it. Also 10 ply tires to handle weight. Ride not to bad just this sway problem...Warren

Reply to
warren weber

You've already done everything I would have suggested - springs, shocks, tires. the next step is to increase the size of the front bar and add a rear bar, keeping the van balanced front to rear.

Brian

Reply to
Brian