If you want to know why a shop don't want to fix the little things for free.

A car came into the shop; near 50,000 with 3 lines on the work order.

1-Seatbelt installed backwards 2-mud flap loose 3-trunk only releases from the latch occasionally

These were listed as a "customer pay" not a warranty.

1- I dug out the rearseatbelt and found it twisted 2- found some spare fasteners ant reattached the mud flap- something had hit it. 3- looked at the trunk release, and either the cable had stretched, or something had bent but the cost could get expensive. So I took a end of a wire terminal and made a "shim" out of it allowing the trunk latch to release properly. While working on this the fuel door handle wouldn't stay on so I added a glue and popped it on. I mentioned to the customer that it needed to set up.

I told my service writer "no labor" even though I spent 1/2 hour working on this car. I figured these were little items and sometimes I feel guilty about the system.

The service writer came out asking about the latch and I told him, the customer wanted a new one (about a 5 dollar item) so we replaced it. So by doing this guy a favor it cost the shop money. Next time I will charge the customer 1/2 hour (40-45$) and fix any 5 dollar item for free.

Reply to
S.Hansen

New-style management styles have forgotten that generating goodwill brings repeat customers.

Unfortunately and occasionally that same freebie/goodwill generator causes problems when the customer keeps asking for freebies after theat first one. Been dere, dun dat.

Reply to
nobody >

In the past, I've had 3-4 occasions where someone has done a service to me that had real value to me, but they didn't charrge me or it was 'insider' advice/w'ever. At least 2 of these were car related(advice over the phone when I was rebuilding a Civic engine and internet advice from a Nissan tech) and 1 I recall was a major kitchen appliance issue( a way to repair a dishwasher without buying a part - from the parts guy!). In one instance, I took breakfast to the entire shop, another, I sent beer cross country! The other, I took the guy some lotto tickets.

Sometimes it's tricky to do stuff like this. But I make an effort to reward folks when they help me out.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

That is why people help you because you are willing to go out of your way to say thank you for the assistance they gave you if everyone was as nice as you then techs like myself would be willing to go an extra mile for you the customer but what you did is very rare now a days so keep up the goodwill Glenn K ASE Certified Technician 2008

Reply to
Glenn K

For some reason, this reminds me of a time when I took in my car to the dealership for an oil change. The dealership washed my car for me. In the process, they left a huge round scratch on the hood, probably from something caught in the drying / buffing rag. Thanks for washing my car, but in the process they scratched it.

Not a big deal as it was buffed out, but just goes to show that sometimes when you try to do someone a favour, it backfires on you.

Reply to
Chico

Hey! No good deed goes unpunished!

Reply to