impreza wrx brake DIY?

I ordered brake pads for 2002 wrx. Before I replace them, I have some questions (never done brake pad before):

Here are the instructions from the wrx shop manual: ... remove the lock pin raise the caliper body remove the pad

Are there more illustrated instructions available?

I'm supposed to push back the piston to make room for the new pad. This implies the piston automatically compensates for the pad as it wears thinner. How does it do that?

After I put in two new pads, is it possible for one pad to be closer to the rotor than the other side, or does the caliper self-center?

Reply to
peter

The pistons have no return spring. As they wear the fluid level in the reservoir goes down. The caliper assembly floats (if not hung up on something) to equalize inner and outer wear.

Reply to
David

If there is no return spring, wouldn't it cause the brake pads to stay on the rotor all the time?

Reply to
peter

They do drag slightly - typical disc brake design. check;

for info.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan