inspecting valve clearance?

I was looking over my 105k mile maintenence schedule:

And I came across at the bottom of the list to inspect the valve clearance. How would I do this and is it really necessary?

Reply to
overflow23

Easy to do on the SOHC engine and more complicated on the DOHC. The SOHC all you do is remove valve cover and turn the camshaft to the correct degree and use a screw driver, a feeler gauge and a 10mm box wrench. The DOHC engine requires a simple little fixture so shims can be removed and replaced. Recommended yes. Do you need to do it? I would do it especially if your going to keep the vehicle for another

20,000 miles or so.
Reply to
Edward Hayes