PS: Very confused about paint protection, rust protection and extended warranty though...

Reply to
wingman25

On 2006-04-04, wingman25 penned:

I was very excited when I bought my WRX just over two years ago. It was also my first brand new car.

Enjoy!

Reply to
Monique Y. Mudama

Hi Gary

Congratulations. I have enjoyed the buying experience of every new car I bought. Hope you have many trouble free kilometres.

Ernest

Reply to
Ernest

Hey Gary,

Congratulations on your purchase.

I would stay away from the paint protection, rust protection, and anything else that smells like BS. Remember, if it walks like a duck...it's probably a duck.

The extended warranty, however, is purely subjective. There have been a handful of threads regarding the extended warranty in this NG. They've never been my bag. There are a few people in this NG who really like them though. What I've gotten out of their discussions (hopefully they'll wigh in) is that the extended warranty is negotiable. Otherwise, purely subjective.

Enjoy.

Jason

Congratulations.........Enjoy it.

Reply to
Phil

Cool! I just got the same car last week. I love it!

:O: wd

Reply to
MoonsOfJupiter

Thanks for the comments everyone!

I am going to skip the paint and other protection. Since i asked the dealership to hold the car for me for a few weeks (It hasn't even arrived in Canada yet ... ) i can think about the extended warranty.

I am moving from a 2001 Accord that had leather and a six disc in dash changed. I am giving up a lot for a Subaru this is missing both!!! I am a bit scared but i hope the performance will make up for my sacrifice! :)

Cheers Gary

Reply to
wingman25

Lucky Duck!

No, No, Yes (depending on the cover and the price). Stock wty in Aus is

3yrs, unlimited kms. What's yours? Obviously you plan to keep it but how far do you drive p.a? Just wondered. Cheers
Reply to
hippo

Crikey!

"Lucky Duck!" lol - you didn't have to say you were in Australia and i would've realized where you were from. Thanks for the response 'Hippo'. :)

I did get approved finally for the lease today. I am not sure how i am going to afford this car in this ever so getting expensive place called Toronto but i will do my best. I plan to keep it yes (i haven't even got it hehehe). Have to sell the 01 Accord coupe i have first.

The warranty it comes with in Canada (same for US i think) is 3 years or 60,000 (which is virtually nothing). There's the powertrain-ABS-Brakes warranty that lasts 5 years or 100K. Extended warranty comes for 48, 60 and 72 mths with prices in Canadian dollars equalling 1100, 1300 and 1900 respectively. They are very high for my pocket. But for this place where summers go as high upto 30-35 and winters as low as -25 degrees i guess machinery and upholstery is exposed to some serious weather beating. So still gathering concensus on feedback from owners like you!

Cheers Gary

Reply to
wingman25

meh, probably can't go wrong staying somewhere between those numbers. I think I changed one of ny soobs at about 2200 and the other about 900.

Some people say the factory oil is special because oil analysis finds xtra molbdenum, other people say that is from some grease used during engine assembly. I dunno.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Please read your manual and don't listen to fables

None of whats been posted here so far makes sense or replicates what in my Outback or Forester User Manual.

HTH

Carl 1 Lucky Texan wrote:

Reply to
Tony Burns (permanent dismisse

That's a load of cr_p. Subaru have just relieved you of 20 to 30k and given you a vehicle on which they will provide a warranty for aperiod of time and distance. Do you think that they would put an oil in it that is going to cost them warranty repairs. Or damage their long term reputation.

Way back in the middle of the last century when engines had to be run in they used to use a 'running in' oil which was designed to accelerate wear over the first few hundred miles of the engines life. It was essential to make sure that oil never stayed in the engine for too long.

Those days are long gone.

If it's written in the handbook then the manufacturer is going to be held accountable to that and he will make darn sure that it is over-engineered and has a large safety factor built in.

Reply to
Bugalugs

Read the manual. It is much more correct than some self appointed expert. I believe Subaru still recommends that the first oil & filter change be preformed at 3,000 miles. An email to Subarus Tech. department also said 3,000 miles and NOT before 1,000 miles. I split the difference at ~2,200 miles and now at 104,000 on my Forester and it runs as new with any oil consumption issues. Your manual is your friend. Ed

Reply to
Edward Hayes

Both on my User manuals (Forester and Outback 04 models) say the recommended changes are at 12,500 kms or every 6 months, starting from the day of first use.

I have no idea here the 3,000 miles number comes from and would appreciate it you could advise me accordingly.

TIA

Edward Hayes wrote:

Reply to
Tony Burns (permanent dismisse

On my 2005 U.S. Forester, Maintenance Booklet says 7,500 miles/12,000 km or

7.5 months.

For severe driving conditions 3,750 miles/6,000 km or 3 3/4 months.

For 3.0L it says 3,000 miles/4,800 km or 3 months.

Blair

Reply to
Blair Baucom

the FIRST oil change is at 3k miles or 3months;

Carl

Blair Baucom wrote:

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Appears he has not seen a 2005 MY 2005 Warranty and maintenance Booklet issued March 2004 Part # MSA5M0501W.

Blair

Reply to
Blair Baucom

From Subaru's own web page:

Your Subaru vehicle (except H6 Models) requires an initial engine oil and filter change at 7,500 miles or 7.5 months, whichever occurs first. Subaru H6 engine model vehicles will require an initial 3,000 mile/3 month oil change, as a part of its regular maintenance schedule. We suggest that you schedule an appointment for this service and any other necessary adjustments at your local Subaru dealer. Locate your local dealer by going to the upper right corner of subaru.com and input your city, state or zip code.

Also other model years are linked on left of page.

Blair

Reply to
Blair Baucom