Intermittent speedometer in 99 Outback

I have a 99 Outback wagon (2.5L and automatic trans) with 108,000 miles. Just this past weekend, the speedometer started working only intermittently -- sometimes it works, sometimes the needle just sits at zero mph. Any idea what could be wrong and how much it will cost to fix it?

TIA.

Reply to
L. Kreh

When I had a similar problem with a '94 Loyale, it was the speedometer head which had gone. In that case, it was a few hundred dollars to buy and install it. The symptoms were that speed shown would vary (at 100 kph for example) anywhere from 0 to 140! Cheers, Tim

Reply to
Tim Reeve

Reply to
david baldwin