Forrester XT - How does the turbo charge work

Hi,

I am a newbie to the newsgroup and wonder if anyone could explain how the turbo charger on the Forrester XT works. I just bought a new 04 XT and my friends keeping asking me to explain its function. If anyone could help, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Richard

Reply to
Richard Jones

Just search back to where you said you bought an XS and follow the links others have already provided for you.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Check out this site for info on how turbos work in general:

To demonstrate, depress accelerator to the floor in a vigorous fashion. ;)

Reply to
Jason

But wait until after your car reaches 1,000 miles.

Reply to
chester

hi richard,

turbocharger, supercharger, they all do the same thing. compress and and shove more air into the engine, and therefore burn more fuel, and thus more power. turbocharger uses the exhaust pressure to drive the turbine that force-feed more air into the engine, whereas the supercharger, i think, is driven by the engine itself. so turbocharger is almost like a free lunch - no additional power used/lost to drive the turbine - but you have to "spool up" - build the exhaust pressure for it to do the work, and therefore the turbolag.

because turbo compresses air (and fuel mixture) more, it needs higher octane gas so that the air/fuel mixture does not pre-detonate. also, higher compression ratio stress the engine more.

most of the performance hack done on car is basically get the engine to suck up fuel/air at a higher rate, so that it burns more and pumps out more power. i'm no performance freak, but that's what i know (performance experts: feel free to correct me/above).

hope you enjoy the car - i hear it's an awesome ride.

dasa

Reply to
dasa