iridium plugs any good?

It's time to change the plugs on my 03 legacy GT. Anybody have any experience with the iridium plugs? Are they worth the money or is this a gimmick? Thanks in advance! Brian

Reply to
Pumps

I second what MJ said. I dropped a set in my 93 Impreza last spark plug change, and haven't had to think about them since. Smoothed engine response on all of the RPMs. Liked them enough I put a set in my XT-6, too. (-; Can't speak to better mileage, but I certainly have no complaints. Will have to see how many miles I get out of each set.

~B

Reply to
strchild

No gimmick, they worked for me, but it depends on what type of plugs where in the engine before. I put Iridium NGK at 30k into my '00 Impreza 2.2L at they made a huge difference. The engine runs much smoother. Subaru put cheap Champions in my car so changing to NGK Iridiums made a very big difference.

I didn't notice any fuel savings but there may be some, just not easily noticeable. At 10 cents a tank in savings they would pay for themselves (assuming +/-65k change interval). They may last longer. Biggest saving is in labor. Subaru plugs are not that easy to change, so not having to change every 30k is great in itself.

M.J.

Reply to
M.J.

Iridiums from studies I read, are the best, even than platinum. They are cheaper and last longer and allow for more intense spark.

The only problem was welding the electrode during manufacturing, but obviously they have solved the hurdles.

Good luck!

Pumps wrote:

Reply to
AS

Hi Brian,

With NA cars spark plugs are no big deal, often replacing with OEM plugs will deliver best results.

In your case (turbo), plug material does play a big role in the cars performance.

I have not done a great deal of research on the matter as I am an NA owner (soon to be EJ20t - my liberty is being converted) but from what I have read Iridium plugs are longer lasting and provide decent performance.

A quick google search should provide you with enough information - let me know how you go, or if you need more assistance I will be glad to help you out.

Regards,

Dylan

Reply to
jax0r

Oh, I forgot to mention I am in Australia, hence the 'Liberty' :-)

I've attached a pic of my car - a 1998 Limited Editi>Hi Brian,

Reply to
jax0r