low power on 96 Legacy 2.2

My daughters 96 legacy is lately having low power issues. It wants to downshift at the least grade uphill. I haven't driven it lately so I'm just relating what she's saying. No engine codes. Could it be a bad tps?

Reply to
bvolcko

Alas, it _could_ be a lot of things.

But first off, put in a fresh air filter, and check the air inlet for blockage; sometimes mice or squirrels will decide to nest in the air box . . .

Also, I have seen tired old spark plug wires cause similar symptoms. Unless you have installed new ones recently, I'd try a new set. And try to find good ones; either Bosch or NGK.

Beyond that, the first thing to do is a compression test, followed by a check of the timing belt/valve timing. Having the belt slip even one cog will cause a dramatic power loss.

Other things to look at would be fuel pump pressure, injector performance, spark plug condition, ignition timing, manifold vacuum (vacuum leaks?), and the overall condition of the automatic transmission/torque converter.

Hope this helps a bit.

ByeBye! S.

How's the exhaust system?

Reply to
johninky

Reply to
bvolcko

Seems ok

Reply to
bvolcko

Not that I think it is the timing belt, but just to point out something that might nab you: An accepted practice when changing a timing belt is to make marks on the old belt to note the timing marks before taking it off, then transferring those marks to the new belt. The assumption is that what works for one belt works for the next. If your mechanic didn't know about the low power issue and was just told to replace the belt, they may have done this. So it is possible that the belt slipped, thereby causing a power loss, the mecahnic replaced the belt but unkowingly set the new one up one tooth off.

On the bright side, I think that this is not the case though for a variety of reasons. First is that the other possible problems are more likely. Second is that most belts have the marks already on them when they come out of their box, so the mechanic wouldn't have marked the old belt and transferred those marks. But I just wanted you to know of the possibility so your troubleshooting logic wouldn't be hampered.

I'd think that a vacuum leak bad enough to sap that much power would cause a poor or impossible idle. I'd do a compression test on it and see what that tells you.

Good luck with it.

Reply to
weelliott

Will check compression when I can. Forgot to mention....212k on the odometer.

Reply to
bvolcko