Low tension on clutch

I have recently been experiencing a strange symptom on my 2000 Legacy Brighton with 5 speed Manual.

After I have been driving for a while I notice that when I depress the clutch there is definite lack of pressure or tension on the clutch for about half the distance - then the pressure is "normal". I am able to shift to the next gear up or down. When I release the clutch the pressure is normal for about half the distance - the pressure decreases.

I have checked the fluid reservoir and it is between the max and fill marks.

I believe that with the hydraulic there is no adjustment. I have owned other cars with hydraulic clutches and never experienced this before.

Reply to
Harvey

The fluid level tells the story, most likely - you probably have a failing clutch cylinder. The fluid level should never drop when the clutch is not depressed, so should always be at the "max" mark. Disk brake systems usually suck down fluid as the pads wear, but clutch systems always come back to the same state.

Pull back the boot on the clutch bell housing where the slave cylinder is. If you see wetness the slave cylinder is failing. Look (or feel) on the firewall under the dash where the pushrod from the clutch pedal goes to the clutch master cylinder. If you see/feel wetness there the clutch master cylinder is failing.

Actually, if either cylinder is failing both should be replaced. In my experience, when one fails the other will follow within weeks... I have no idea why, but each time my sons and I have tried to get off cheap we were doing the other cylinder by the next payday, refilling and bleeding all over again. Note also that aluminum cylinders can't be rebuilt - they wear the aluminum out. Expect to pay about $100 US for the pair, at least aftermarket.

In any case, replacing the cylinders is a *whole lot* easier than getting into the clutch!

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Thanks for the reply.

I doubled checked and the fluid level is on the max mark. I will monitor it over the next while.

Both cylinders seem dry now - I will monitor them as well.

Other than the visual checks is there any type of testing that can be done?

Reply to
Harvey

"Harvey" wrote in news:Cpqcg.30209$Qq.12882@clgrps12:

I had the same problem on my '98 Legacy GT; it turned out to be the problem in this TSB:

NUMBER: 03-52-03R DATE: 07/15/03

APPLICABILITY: 1995~2002MY Legacy;

1997~2003MY 2.5L Impreza; and 1998~2003MY Forester Vehicles. All models have Manual Transmission. SUBJECT: Clutch Pedal Sticking (revised)

INTRODUCTION In the event you encounter a customer complaint of the clutch pedel not returning completely after being engaged, or has a spongy pedal feel or a light feel in the shifting pedal while shifting, the following repair method should be followed. This condition may affect certain manual transmission vehicles with a hydraulic clutch system under certain weather conditions.

PROCEDURE To correct this condition you must replace the parts in the chart that match your vehicle using the following procedure:

Replace the clutch hose and the clutch operating cylinder with new parts

This was not covered by a 'hidden' warranty; I think it ran about $350

Reply to
Dan Garber

There is no adjustment, but just a thought -- it might be air in the line. Pushing halfway down depresses the air and brings back a normal clutch feel. Whatever, get it looked at before you wind up stranded.

Reply to
Sheldon