My impreza felt like a RWD!

It was a heavy snow in Toronto, a couple of hours ago, I drove my impreza

2.5i heading home. When almost finished a 90 degree turn, I give a bit throttle, then, it suddenly produce an over steering! almost hit the curb, like those RWD.... and then it immediately produced some kinda of noise of "clank", and the car felt like the front and rear got locked up or soo....

ain't AWD supposed to be safer on snow?! how come I got this oversteering? it happend when almost finished the turn and applying a bit throttle.

5speed manual.
Reply to
grape

safer - yes, better traction - yes, bombproof traction- no. From the sound of things one end lost traction but the other didn't, or you were not aware it did. AWD or 4WD let one get through a lot of conditions a 2WD will have a problem with but one can still exceed the traction limits. Those limits drop pretty low on snow and very low on ice. On the downside can just get going faster so the accident can be more spectacular if you lose control. On the upside you are less likely to lose control if you are prudent about driving conditions.

Reply to
nothermark

I did this on dry pavment in my WRX. Takeing a sharp left, hit the gas coming out of the turn and i guess since most of the weight was shifted to the right the left rear tire lit up, rear end kicked out, started going sideways, front end was heading into the on coming lane. I was turning into the slide , but still couldnt get it stright without letting off the gas.. Didnt think this could happen with AWD. How does the sub AWD work ? Do both sides get equel power or does power get diverted to the side getting traction when the other is loseing traction ?

Reply to
Mike

Isn't this called drifting? a racing skill actually...

oversteering?

Reply to
DG

No, he described wheel-lift snap oversteer. Drifting is quite different.

Reply to
CompUser

Thanks for the correction. I clearly haven't mastered either manuver in my WRX....yet ;)

Reply to
DG

All AWD and 4WD vehicles will do this if the rear end loses traction. It happens in my 95 Legacy and it occurred in both my 83 and 86 Toyota 4WD wagons. Also happens in my 91 XR7 : ) Giving too much throttle even in a straight line will get the RWs to lose traction. If in a corner the momentum is going to carry you through. You

*could* try to add more weight to the rear but once the throttle gets the wheels lose, it only adds as more momentum. My suggestion is less throttle or downshift prior to the turn, not in it.
Reply to
John

Dedicated snow tires make a huge difference. AWD is not invincible on snow or ice.

Reply to
jcz

I don't believe giving any throttle in a turn in the snow is a good idea.

Reply to
jcz

I think that about covers it. AWD is better than 2WD, and (in my experience) better on paved roads than 4WD. Disclaimer: I have limited experience with AWD, and none with the Subaru variety. 4WD forces at least one wheel to slip in turns, while AWD allows some slippage... and that means a certain amount of unpredictability if the throttle or surface changes suddenly. On broken surfaces, 4WD is the way to go, but on slippery pavement I prefer 2WD to

4WD. AWD and careful driving is the choice to make there.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Reply to
nothermark

No manner of traction control can overcome the laws of physics.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

I have experienced the oversteer affect, but I think that it's the front end steering in, rather than the back swinging out, and I think the 'thunk' is the traction wheel getting power from the transfer case. Maybe I held the turn a few microseconds too long before steeringout of the turn. Quite startling when it happens and it caught me off-guard. I think the best way to handle this is to use the brakes and trust the anti-lock.

Reply to
oldslowbenter