Nessecary Brake Fluid Flush?

Bonehenge wrote:

Hi,
I've been rotating my air for years, but I guess I wasn't doing it right. I'd drain one tire, then use a hose setup to move the air from one tire to another, finishing by filling the now empty spare with fresh air (only works w/ full sized spares, not the donuts.) Kinda like changing an oil filter w/o doing a complete oil change, so you're only adding a bit of fresh oil to top up.
Hope I wasn't wasting air my way...
Rick
On Sun, 01 Oct 2006 15:29:07 -0700, Rick Courtright

I can sell you a special, custom device to do it right!

Is there anything unusual about flushing BF in a 99 Outback? Or are they the same as regular cars? ...I can look up specific details later, I'm just wondering if my car has a special procedure.
-John O
JohnO wrote:

The only odd thing I can remember is that the front and back bleeder valves take different sized wrenches.
Jim Stewart wrote:

Good, and thanks.
There is a preferred flushing / bleeding sequence and it is:: RF>LR>LF>RR. Rational is that there is less chance of contaminated fluid being pushed into another brake line.
only needed if you drive in the hills/mountains where the brakes (and the fluid !) may become very hot during downhilling.
I live in the Netherlands and never made a brake fluid flush, only when I replaced the (front) brake discs after 150.000 miles (Subaru Legacy)
Wilco

Well you've been fortunate if you haven't had brake issues. The official Subaru of America maintenance schedule, which can be seen on the SOA website here- http://www.subaru.com/owners/schedules/index.jsp calls for a brake fluid flush every 30K.

Hi Wilco,
In a posting in this group last month I dealt with the same problem, but I take quite a different view on it. I live in The Netherlands as well, we have a wet climate, temperatures vary greatly, and traffic is dense (a lot of braking is required). Brake fluid is highly hygroscopic, it attracts water as well as dirt through the seals. Moreover, it ages (due to intense heating/cooling) relatively quickly. I know what a jamming brake does to your car at highway speeds (experienced it 30 years ago on an Autobahn in Germany). Cause: rusted pistons and cylinders in the rear drum brakes (Renault, not Subaru). The car (Renault 12TS) was 2 years old, had only run 30,000 KM. Since then I have the brake fluid replaced every 2 years, the same holds good for power steering fluid and coolant. All these (especially the hydraulic) fluids are subject to ageing and deteriorating. It's a 'small' investment in durability and safety - I know! The fact that Subaru advise to change them every 2 or 3 years (model, age) is sensible, I think even obligatory!
Georg

Bradley Walker wrote:

Hi,
I don't know if mileage is that critical, but every two years is a good interval to flush brake systems. All the reasons have been given.
And, yes, there are people who never flush their systems. I've gotten a hold of some of their cars in the past. Ever hear the saying, "Penny wise and pound foolish?" It applies here.
Rick
On 2006-09-26 03:53:27 -0400, "Bradley Walker"

an old fleet manager once explained to me that european and japanese manufacturers rely on conditioners in the brake fluid to keep the rubber parts of the brake system flexible. so you have a choice, either replace the brake fluid according to the maintenance schedule, or replace all the rubber parts early - his policy was to flush the brake fluid.

This has been discussed 1000s of times. Read your manual and do as the manufacture recommends or gamble on the cost of not doing it.