Never ending Subaru Problems!

That happened to me just last week for maybe the second time since I've had the car. Like you said, I just pulled over and turned off the car, waited a minute, and restarted it. Hasn't happened that much that I considered it enough of a problem to report.

How would you compare the turbo to the H6? When I bought the car, there was NO comparison between the 4 and the 6. The H6 won hands down. Would be interesting to hear from someone with real experience with the H6 and the new turbo.

And how much do you miss the Mac?

Duke

Reply to
MDCORE

My first Subaru was a used '90 Legacy wagon..... it ran like a dream for years, loved this car 'cept the AT was a little slippery between 2nd &

3rd.... other than that, no major trouble of any kind. Decided to buy a new '97 OBW because it seemed to be a very SAFE choice, since the engine design had been refined quite a bit from the '96. Bad decision..... have had nothing but trouble with this car, the kind of trouble that is very spendy, and reoccurs every 30,000 miles or so.... the kind of trouble that leaves ya stranded in the middle of nowhere on a holiday weekend.

Looking to buy a Honda or Toyota next.... as soon as they perfect the hybrids a little more and come out with a strong hybrid wagon or SUV.

-- Wind Mountain Pete

Reply to
Peter Berkey

I think that the "major design change" was largely in the eyes of the marketing department. I'd peg the changes somewhere around the "significant evolution" level.

Peter Berkey wrote:

There was talk of major design change for '03 so decided I'd better not wait any longer. Been real happy with it as I also was with my '95 Legacy wagon.

Reply to
BBB

I'm don't know a darn thing about cars and engines. But that won't stop me from sharing an opinion :) I'd considered an OB or Forester in '00 but didn't like the 4. Didn't feel like there was enough get-up-n-go. Then I tried the 01 VDC. I enjoyed the 6, seemed powerful enough for the car, never felt like it was working too hard, even at 8,000 feet. The turbo 4 is great too! I have not driven it at higher elevations yet, but around town and on the hwy it is feels strong and peppy (maybe too peppy for my own good ;) From the little I understand about the turbo it should be great on the mountains. If you are thinking about one I suggest you get out and try it!!

Lots! That was a nice stock system! -K

Reply to
Ken Teich

Robert,

Wow, sounds like you and I have sister cars :-(

Not sure if you know or not, and not sure if it is helpful at this point, but the Exhaust shield rattles were a very common problem where they would replace all the pipes under the car (of course this was done under 30k) but since they treated it as a defect you maybe able to argue something here.

Your 2500 RPM rattle is exactly what I had as well, it took month to figure out what that was. It ended up being a part on the firewall (I am not sure what the exact part name is). It is on the right hand side and it has a cylindrical shape, I believe it is part of the Cruise Control system as it has a cable that connects it to the throttle. The unfortunate part is that there was no real fix, and they ended up wrapping it in insulation to muffle the noise. Hardly a fix if you ask me, but at least I had the comfort of knowing that it was something minor and the suspension was not going to fall out :-).

Like yourself I owned a Subaru in the past and love the AWD system, but as other auto makers are catching up and offering similar systems at similar prices I think my next car will be something different. It is hard to buy the same car again when it spends more time in the shop then anywhere else.

-Sam

Reply to
Sam

Guys, I am just glad you've married into a small family!

Reply to
GTT

I had the same problem on a 1998 GT. Engine light came on because of misfire in #4 cylinder. Took it to the dealer and they couldn't find problem. Adjusted timing(even though I told them not to because it had been done 1 wk earlier), charged me to change plugs and didn't, changed coil, plug wires. Cost $900. Result: We can't find what's wrong, but if you want to we can charge you an additional $1000 to tear the engine down and see if we can find anything with no guarantees we'll find the problem. Decide this dealer didn't know what they were doing, so took it to another. They called me 4 hours after dropping it off and said the problem was a bad injector wiring harness. Paid $500, took the car home, next day the light was on again and still running rough. Took it back and they tried a top end cleaning. Picked car up 2 days later and the next day the light came on again. Took it back and they had it for over two weeks before telling me that the wrist pin in cyl #4 was bad and that the entire engine had to be replaced. I asked why they couldn't just drop the pan, pull the bad piston and replace it. Apparantly, the way the boxers are made, this is not possible and the entire engine needs to be disassembled to change a piston! After arguing with the dealership, the owner of the dealership, the district rep, Subaru customer service(I would have been better off hitting myself in the head with a hammer than talking with CSR)they agreed to put in a short block for ONLY $4000. Would have been $5500 if I hadn't been a pain in the arse. It took 4 weeks to get the block in because they were out of stock (wonder why). I then started to rad about piston slap in the 2.5 litre engine. I bought this up to the service manager and the regional rep. Neither would admit they had heard anything about it. Piston slap, if you don't already know, is the piston rattling back and forth upon startup until it swells and forms a tight seal. Does a piston moving back and forth sound like something that would make a wrist pin go bad? It sure does to me, since this is what holds the piston to the connecting rod. HMMMMM, coincidence, I think not. But, try to get anyone at Subaru to admit the problem exists.I originally took the car in to the shop the second week of January, got it back the second week of April and traded it the next week. To top this all off, the service manager at the second dealership told me that the reason my engine had to be replaced was that I had installed a K&N filter and the engine was getting too much air. I let him know that either I wasn't as stupid as he thought I was, or he was more stupid than I thought he was. Total cost, approx $6,000 and several years off my life span. Bottom line: This was one of two Subarus I owned at the time with plans to own a 3rd and 4th in the future. I sold the other one I owned (99 Outback) 2 months later and will never own another. At least you know you're not alone. Oh, also on both cars, the windshields had at least 10 chips and 2 cracks in each.

Reply to
timberwolf