New Forester?

I own a 2002 model Forester S. I bought it in summer 2001 when the 02's came out. At 55k miles, it's the best vehicle I've ever owned. Now I'm thinking of buying a new Forester and give the "old" one to my wife (who loves driving it). My question to the newsgroup is simple: Are the 06's as reliable as my 02'? Any caveats? TIA!

Ben

Reply to
Cixcos

More reliable in my opinion but, my 2000 is at 98,000 and no problems

Reply to
Edward Hayes

Reply to
grape

How can anyone say if a 2006 car is reliable?

Reply to
Tom Reingold

How could anyone say a new car, just on the market is any good or not? Dumb question. I guess I'd look at consumers reports to see the past performance and guess from that. My 2000 Forester at 98,000 miles has had no major problems so I guess I'd buy another in a few years.

Reply to
Edward Hayes

Yes, consumers reports states that Subaru is the most reliable brand overall for 2004 and 2005. This is not an industry mag but an, arguably, serious consumer organization. I generally look at the reliability record over many years and models to give meaningful indication. A one year blip doesn't cut it. For instance, the Ford Focus, had the people at consumers rating it pretty highly..... at first, but they soon had more data from more owners and it slid off the radar. Subaru has had staying power with consumers since the 80's. I bought my first Subaru, a GL wagon, in 86 based on Consumers Reports. I now have a 2004 Forester. I ended up with the Forester over the Legacy models because of the Japan build for the Forester as opposed to US build for the Legacy models.

My 04.... 38,000 and not one problem. Not that I would expect any. The old

86 is still on the road too, as is my 1990 Legacy (Japan build)
Reply to
Grolsch

I owned a 1998 Forester that I traded in(after 158,000 trouble free miles), The hub wanted a car-type car in this SUV family and I got a V6-Accord in

  1. Nice car but it wasn't a Forester that I found to be both fun and utilitarian. So now, I had my Subaru dealer locate a white LLBean with tinted windows (which was not that easy a feat) that I will happily drive for many miles to come.

The 98 I had was exceptionally trouble free and I see no reason to expect anything less from my 06. The older Subie was driven 100 commuter miles a day in the worse weather you can imagine in the Adirondacks and never failed me ever...with the exception of the time somebody in the house put in new spark plugs and broke one in the process. I rode home that nite in the pitch dark on the Northway which is not lit in my 3 cylinder lawnmower. That was a very slow trip.

Anyhow, I just had to comment about how much I enjoyed these agile little wagons which in this family hauls groceries, Scotties, Genesee beer and golf clubs. What more is there?

Diane P.

(originally Trenton Noo Joisy girl from Chambersburg)

Reply to
Diane M.

Mmmmmmm Genesee Cream Ale ......... It's been decades since I've had a Genny. Glad to know they are still around.

Reply to
QX

Very true. I had a pair of Ford Tauruses (Taurui?) and they were fine cars until they hit 75k miles. Both transmissions blew up along with both fuel pumps, both throttle position sensors and misc. ignition problems.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Look at the mechanical design. Are there any significant mechanical differences from last years model? If there are, there may be new problems. In 3+ years you'll start getting useful user info.

Reply to
Spam Hater