Notching Fumoto Oil drain valve in the H6

I just installed a Fumoto oil drain valve in my H6. I noticed that over at scoobymods.com they suggest notching the bottom of the valve so that you can get that extra

1/8 inch of oil out of the pan. Well I found something interesting in the service manual about the engine. The engine holds 7.2 U.S. quarts of oil, the refill amount is 6.1 U.S. quarts so logic tells me that the extra 1/8 inch of oil gained by notching the valve doesn't do all that much given there's still an extra quart in the engine. Just my .02
Reply to
null

Edward Hayes

If the oil is doing it's job the "bad stuff" that could possibly get to the moving engine parts should be suspended in the oil, not in the bottom of the pan. Also the stuff in the bottom of the pan would probably stay there and not cause any harm. I suppose a pre-drain cleaner/flush (trans fluid) could be used to suspend more of the "bad stuff" but this is definitely a bad idea. I can't see how any of the draining option could be that much better or worse than the others....probably sucking the oil out would be best but I wouldn't think the engine would benefit a noticeable amount. You always seem to give good helpful advice "Edward Hayes" so I would be interested in any comments. TG

Reply to
TG

I thought about getting a Fumoto valve, but the idea of notching a grove seemed like a pain. Oil change is already easy in my O3 Forester. In article , snipped-for-privacy@arrl.netnospam

Reply to
Mr_Ed

Hi,

I agree... you'll never get all the oil out of an engine by draining the sump because there are so many "nooks and crannies" inside that hold tiny amounts of oil it all adds up to that discrepancy between what the engine truly holds and what comes out.

If you always change the oil hot, and do it on a regular basis (3k, 5k, whatever your choice is), you'll have whatever crud can come loose suspended in the oil. You'll get enough out to make any remaining foreign material in that last 1/8" of academic interest only. If it worries one that much, stick with the factory plug.

I've heard of people who pour a quart of clean oil thru the engine while the plug's out to "wash out" remaining dirty oil. I suppose it wouldn't hurt, but seems to be a bit anal and a waste of oil. Opinions will vary...

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright

Include me the group that pours clean oil in while the plug's out. You only have to put in a 1/4 quart till it comes out clean. You can also include me in the Fumoto oil drain valve too, though.

Reply to
spam

Instead of notching the Fumoto, you could also use a couple of washers between the valve and the drainpan. This will effectively lower the height of the drain plug.

Reply to
Cam Penner

I remove the oil pan at each oil change, and wash it with solvent :)

Reply to
Verbs Under My Gel

Reply to
brentlz

That's nothin' I used to know a guy who took out his spark plugs every morning and wiped them off. Now that's compulsive!

Al

Reply to
Al

I drive someone else's car. That way when I change my oil, it's always still clean. :)

The fumto comes with a 'composite' washer I assume you put the metal washers against the valve and the composite between the pan and washer?

Given that I've put 20K+ miles in one year and next oil change I'll be going to Amsoil synthetic I may just notch it or washer it as with Amsoil I've had friends that now go 7500 miles between changes in harsher environments then my car goes through.

On a sidenote does anyone have a torque spec / method for the fumoto as a standard socket doesn't fit it? I would think the washer would affect torque but after torquing to spec a Fram valve on my Wife's Pontiac and shearing it off (boy was i pissed) I'm now leary about really cranking down on this valve as it I don't want to have to remove the remains and buy another.

Reply to
null

He cleaned and reuesed them? Man that's scary. I just buy mine by the case and replace them weekly. I also drop the gas tank and drain to make sure there is no water. I also change the oil with Mobil-1 full synthetic bi-weekly. I clean my K&N each night so its dry by morning. I also purchased an air ionizer so the air coming into the intake is clean. It cost $5,000 but I think its worth it. Next month the car will have 10K miles on it so I'll have my dealer do a complete overhaul on the engine and transmission and replace the the exhaust from the catalytic back.

BTW, did he also replace the crush washer on the plug and index them so they're positioned correctly?

Reply to
null

You guys need to get with the program. It used to be that getting a new car was easy to time - just do it when the ash tray filled up. Now with less folks smoking, another system needs to be used, so I recommend getting the car replaced instead of filling the tank with gasoline.

And make sure to change the air in the tires every few hundred miles - getting it hot then cold is really hard on the nitrogen molecules.

Reply to
Alan Peterman

Glad to see you're completely NEGLECTING YOUR TIRES. I use special equipment to make sure that the tires' circumferences are within 1/4 _micron_ of one another. This will ensure a long life for the center diff.

By the way, if you're leaving your airbox empty while your K&N dries, you'd better have your engine torn down and inspected (in a clean room, obviously) IMMEDIATELY! Some dust may have gotten past the airbox and into the engine.

Reply to
Verbs Under My Gel

No I learned my lesson removing the filter once before and that lunar dust got in. Now it stays in a positive pressure, humidity controlled room that is buried 10.8 feet under my backyard. I only take the car out when the windspeed it below 1 mph and the sun is at twilight, other I just drive my junker car a Mclaren F1. It seems to be able to take the abuse. One time I had my Scooby at the dairy Queen and this kid came over and breathed on it. I had to rush home and wash it immediately with de-ionized water. I also run 70% nitrogen and 30% argon in my tires to keep any free radical oxygen atoms from invading the inner tire surface.

In case you out. White Knight industries has some really nice dust free overalls so you can keep your interior nice and clean. I keep a case of these in my trunk

prefer the 31-75-600

null