7 quarts of oil in a 2001 vette

I took my Vette in for an oil change. The tech put in 7 quarts, but only

6.5 quarts is called for. Will the extra 1/2 quart harm the engine. Should I take it back and have him remove 1/2 quart? S
Reply to
swede

What does it actually check on the stick? If you're lucky they just charged you for 7 and only put in 6.5. It really won't hurt it as we always over fill when auto crossing but I'd take it out if it were me.

Reply to
Dad

It's an old Speedy/Jiffy\Econo Lube trick. They used to try and tell me my truck took and extra quart. Well, they dump the oil in, start the motor, turn it off, and check the dip stick. The oil isn't hot yet and they don't give it time to drain into the pan. Check the oil the next morning after you drive home and it'll be over the top line.

You'll notice the extra oil charge on your bill is pretty high, like 6 bucks a quart. That's 4.5 bucks profit. And then if they've talked you into a

40 buck air filter, a new gas cap, some wiper blades, well it's up to 100 bucks for standard oil, 150 for Mobil 1.
Reply to
spud

I bought 7 quarts of oil elsewhere and took it to the tech so that I would know if they used the proper oil. I'm no worried about the extra cost. I'm worried about too much oil in the crankcase. When I got the car home and it sat for the afternoon, I checked the level and it's above the 'MAX' level on the dip stick. Will it harm my engine to have that extra 1/2 quart in the crankcase?

swede

Just my unprofessional opinion: I doubt very much that a half quart extra will do any harm.

SteveC

Just my unprofessional opinion: I doubt very much that a half quart extra will do any harm.

Ditto.

Ed

Reply to
spud

In the old days we did not overfill because of the detergent in the oil would foam up from being beat by the crank and then get into the hydrologic lifters and collapse them...

Reply to
ZÿRiX

I have been getting my oil changed at Wall Mart because their price is for Mobile One is less than others. After the last change, there was a 1/2 quart bottle in a plastic bag in the floor of the car.

I saved it and just added it before a weekend road trip.

Back in the old days the Chevy dealer would just dump in

7 quarts and told me not to worry about it.

I know the books says you can go 15K miles on Mobile One but I have been changing mine at 5K. Anything earlier seems like a waste.

Reply to
aRKay

I have my '97 F150 changed at Wal-Mart with Mobil One. It's a bargin.

I did my Vette once and my buddy chastised me. "You take a $50K automobile to be worked on by the lowest level of mechanics"?

That's when I started noticing the tattoos on the mechanics necks. I know pay a little more and take it to an independent shop. Also, don't fall for the GM Service Special $49 Oil Change*

*some models higher. Yeah, like double.
Reply to
spud

The techs at my Wall Mart are great. They treat it like it is their own car. You don't have to be card carrying Master GM tech to be a good service tech

Reply to
aRKay